Warning: pic heavy Just posting a bunch of progress. Leg vise continued. Cutting the bridal joint. Lignum vitae pin for the guide. This stuff strong. Trying to incorporate this as a pin holder but haven’t come across an idea that I can pull off with what I have on hand. So it’s on the back burner for now. Hammered a poplar dowel and drilled a center so I could bore it with a forstner. Didn’t work out so well. Stuck a roll pin...
I milled the leg and spacers/support block out of the same chunk of oak. The screw and nut are the remnants of what I bought for my end vise. A cove cut on the table saw and an 3/8” round over gave me the basic profile. I smoothed it out of with a whatever rasp and file I had on hand. Then marked and mortised for the nut. I’ll probably put a dab of epoxy on final assembly of the nut to make sure to hold it captive. It’s damn good fit if I say so myself. ...
I left off with some cypress jointed and planed for the stretchers with a loose idea of what I wanted to do. I was originally hoping to do a “loopy” sort of deal (like the loopy infill), but I’d need to invest in a router guide bushing set and make or buy some templates and bits. In the end, I just did this Which translates to this. After milling the stretchers and the dados in the legs, I went ahead and glued the legs in first. Then the stretchers. Then a little purpleheart...
Expectations. We all have them when we walk into the shop. Ah yes, I have come to spend a pleasant relaxing day at the bench undisturbed, unperturbed. Then you begin work. Things can go wrong. Jigs don’t work, parts mis-align as the glue holds fast in the wrong spot, wood tears out, screw heads break off, and finishes blotch. Lest it be misunderstood that I am somehow above the fray here, that nothing ever goes wrong for me, that I am the calm sea in the eye of every storm at my bench, ...
I am a woodworker, an engineer, a maker, and a tinkerer. I built myself a workbench that height adjustable and completely solid that will last for generations. The full project description is here. But if your like me, you will find that a project, though completed, is never really done. I started this blog to document my starting point for any modifications and upgrades I do to the bench. See a video of the project by clicking here if you don't have flash or watch below:
By Joshua Farnsworth (Writer at WoodAndShop.com) This is part 2 of George Lott’s traditional workshop. In part 1 I returned to the Frontier Culture Museum in historical Staunton, Virginia, to visit the men who are responsible for much of the reproduction furniture there: George Lott, Ken Knorr, and David Puckett. In this second video you’ll see George Lott’s amazing collection of antique tool chests, hand planes, hand saws, and workbenches. George gave me a tour of several of his...
Finally got the bench to the point where it’s time to flatten the top and finish it. Going into the project almost a year ago, I made a promise to myself that I would flatten the top by hand. I’ve seen the fancy router sled used by the Woodwhisperer (among others), but that’s not how I wanted to go (besides the fact that I don’t want to put down $50 on a wide-pass router bit). The top wasn’t too far out of flat, globally. However, there were lots of...
My bench has had a gaping…er…gap in the middle of it since I built in in December 2012. Since I have Thanksgiving week off, I thought I’d remedy the situation. The divider is a simple piece made with two boards of sapwood-y black walnut with oak spacers. The bench was quite useful for gluing the thing together. The shot below shows that I staggered the spacers to accommodate different sized tools. After a little cleanup on the table saw and some fine...
Here is the leg vise i made, it works OK, but i can tell the force it puts on the mounts i made are going to fail over time. (see pic below) Then i came across this picture of an old black smith vise and wondered why hadn’t anyone one done one like this before? seemed simple, strong and fairly fool proof (ie Me Proof) So off i went to build my own:1st i turned a wheel using 2 pieces of 6/4 hard maple, laminated together.then i epoxied and pinned some 3/4” acme rod...
Glue up timeI was able to get my bench base into its new home today and did the final gluing which was just the stretchers on the back at the bottom which are mortise and tenon joints and the top rails which are bridle joints. After I glued in the stretchers on the back, I was going to glue in the top rails at the same time. I put the back rail in place and to my amazement the bridle joints didn’t line up (imagine me with a stupid expression on my face, ok, I know that isn’t so...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1792 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 115 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1817 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 241 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries