This is my old work bench. It came with the house. It has a built-in ashtray and it looks like the stretchers were recycled from an old road barricade. It is wobbly and scarred, and it is time to replace it. I decided to construct the frame from 6’ 1×4 white pine from Home Depot. I laminated the legs from three pieces. Before gluing, I used my router to mill mortises in the center pieces of the laminations. Here are the four legs clamped during the gluing of the first tw...
A couple of very nice roubo benches were recently posted and it got me to thinking. I joined Lumberjocks a couple of years ago and, seldom posting, I have spent a lot of time just reading what people have to say and looking at the pictures they post. In that time I have seen a lot of remarkable work and encountered some good wisdom. One of my favorite searches is work benches, because I want to see what people are working with and find out what type of bench other woodworkers might prefer ...
In the prequel to this episode (Blog Entry #51: Raiders of the Lost Dungeon Workshop—cont’d), I pointed out a small (useless) room that was taking up valuable space in the dungeon. Either I tear it down and make that space useful, refurbish the room and use it, or work around it. I chose the last. If I had torn down the room I would have had no wall space to work with—the inside wall was the house’s field stone foundation. Using the room would mean taking down a most d...
Parallel guide chain mechanism To make the chain mechanism, I used #35 chain and the sprockets are 10T with a 3/8 center. The chain is attached using two chain links. I had to do some metal working to create a few items: the brackets to hold the sprockets and a way of securing the chain at both ends. I had a 1.5” rectangular steel tube in my scrap collection so I used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to make both brackets that hold the sprockets with 3/8 bolts. Big box store ang...
Screw assembly The face vise screw mechanism is all DIY. Here are the piece parts. The hand-wheel has been kicking around my basement for 15 years. I remember buying it on Ebay for a project I never completed. It was too nice to throw away, so it waited and waited until now to find a purpose. The acme screw and nut I picked up on Ebay more recently. I cut the screw to length and drilled the hole that holds the hand-wheel setscrew. I found a 5 inch brass plate 1/2 inch thick also on...
Top Assembly The top consist of two sub-assemblies: The lower half and the upper. The lower half is made up of two plywood sheets glued together, edged with maple and joined using doweled bridle joints. The doubled up plywood is attached to the frame using a basic butt joint strengthened with 3/8” dowels and glued down with epoxy. I used this method because my wood was not wide enough for the desired final dimensions if I rabbeted in the panel. This simple butt joint gave me some a...
Leg Assembly Two leg assemblies are part of the support system for the bench. I was going to use glued up 2×4s, but found some 12/4 poplar, so sawed that to shape instead. The legs are 2.75” thick and 4” wide, and the top rail is 2.75” square. The legs are angled at about 15 degrees. The 2×4 approach would have simplified cutting the angled slots, but then you have the hassle of cleaning up the glued up legs. The large hunks of wood making up the legs give them a nice soli...
So I decided I needed to finally build a real woodworking bench for my new workspace. I got all the books by Chris Schwarz, checked all the back issues of woodworking mags and browsed the internet in preparation. Then the first thing I did was break one of Chris Schwarz rules. I decided to design my own rather then duplicate a historical bench. I think I had valid reasons. My workspace is small. I could not fit a long bench. A short bench means planning forces have a bigger impact, so I d...
The original plans said to build this after building the carcass, but I am not one to follow every direction. So it was up first. Design was completed and away I go. Even though I decided to make the UTS out of plywood, I made the torsion box out of MDF to take advantage of the its dead-flatness. I shrank the dimensions a bit so the plywood face would be flush with the rest of the carcass. I also moved around the rails so the casters would line up with the hardwood inside supports. ...
NOTE:I originally posted this as a Project and not a Blog entry. So I’ve moved it over here and will build upon it. I can not figure out how to delete the project, so my mistake will continue to live on, like most of my mistakes. ====================================================== After moving tables bought from auctions and using sawhorses and 2×4s as a miter saw base, I decided I needed a proper workbench. I spent a few months scouring the internet and magazines to find ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1793 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1818 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 241 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries