In our shop (like many) one of the most frequently used tools is the miter saw. Coincidentally, it’s also the machine that seems to make the most dust. In order to keep the dust at a minimum, it was time to upgrade our miter saw station. The plan is to purchase a second saw, and have the 2 saws share a long, connected fence. So, I started with building base cabinets to hold the saws: As I previously mentioned, dust was always a big issue in our shop. To help aid in that, I purchas...
Scabbed together scraps with pocket screws & 1/2 sheet of 1/4” oak plywood. Min-wax pecan stain and satin poly. More red oak cut-offs from other projects destined for drawer fronts and soft maple cast-off from local cabinet shop destined to be the bench base board. I do love making use of hardwood that often finds it way into a burn pile or land fill! I can’t seem to get the hang of correctly titling and linking the related blog entries though.
YAWB - Yet Another Workbench (Or My Take on the Ultimate Tool Stand) #4: Carcass Finish & First (Unofficial) Use
After making the torsion box and carcass I wanted to protect the bench a little. I rubbed in some tung oil finish (two coats I think) and added a coat of furniture wax. For garage use, I felt that would be fine. No need to coat where it won’t be exposed. I haven’t built the riser blocks (whatever they’re called). It brought a little shine to the workbench. My sanding got the best of me and a sanded through the top birch veneer at a lot of the corners, but I’m no...
Long break, but I do have some updates thankfully. So here’s what I’ll be building in this part. Front Back After the torsion box, it was time to start the carcass. As mentioned before, I went with plywood over MDF out of preference and aesthetics. There isn’t great plywood to be had where I live, but I found a respectable lumber yard with cheaper (and better) plywood than the big box stores. It’s 11-ply, but still has some voids. It’s a good compromi...
Like my previous post, this is mostly a note for my own future reference. I’m trying to centralize all my woodworking notes in one place, preferably one accessible from anywhere, and LJ is the only logical choice. So I have some unusual needs in a sawbench. Since I am an above-knee amputee, the conventional method of holding the board in place with ‘pot roast power’ is a no-go. I’ve tried it, it’s excruciatingly painful and it doesn’t work to hold the...
One of my goals in renting the space for a shop is to build all of my shop fixtures in anticipation of moving them to my own permanent shop in a future home where I’ll have the dedicated space for one. I cannot make a move now as my folks are elderly and in need assistance at this point. However, renting the space for this shop has offered me some time away from the stresses that unfortunately accompany the aforementioned. I come here and tune out other issues until I return home. R...
Just like a well built house, a well rounded approach to woodworking comes form a solid foundation and understanding of the principles of the medium. Understanding wood and how it will respond to your actions and finding a happy dance that will let you enjoy the craft instead of having it dominate you is paramount. This theory transferred well today when I milled up the legs for the bench. It needs to have an accurate, well made foundation to be a solid usable bench. I took my time today as s...
Wow what a day, I have been packing things in lately, I think my candle has four ends. So today I got the bench top surfaced to thickness and cut to length, I glued up the split rail, glued up the candlesticks that I have to do, I helped with some cnc work for the carving side of the shop and helped with a prototype cane head. Then started on video #2 “The Tool Cabinet”. I have just about finished a sketchup design I have to do and have the blue prints in to be printed off. I am s...
Thankfully todays glue up did not inspire a case of shop induced turrets.Like Qbert says, ”@!#?” It is not often I use more than half of my clamps. Years back I would use them all up in a day and be left needing more. Today I used up a bit more than half and I was hoping to get to more, but time ran out. I have the bench legs and top slabs glued up. The split is milled and has a bit more before it will get glued up too. To start the day out I made a set of cauls from a 2...
Hidie Ho there neighbors. Today I was able to get the rest of the wood for the top milled up and it is taking shape; all be it an unusual one with multiple levels. I just can’t do anything the easy way can I ? About half way through the day I wondered about what I would use for the front. I wanted something showy obviously. I remembered I had a piece of Birdseye hidden away in the attic vault. How’s this for a well traveled piece of wood; when I lived in West Virginia I too...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1768 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 109 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Toy costruction - 93 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 80 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1793 entries
- dbhost - 430 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- robscastle - 226 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Dave Rutan - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 199 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries