Completed Roll Around Tool Cabinet: Lessons Learned A few months ago I noticed how many storage and toolboxes I had sitting flat on my garage floor. I decided to make them more mobile in the simplest manner possible. I took one of my dolly carts bought from Harbor Freight Tools, placed a 2 by 4 foot sheet of plywood on it, then began stacking the Rubbermaid storage boxes, etc on top of it. This made the items mobile but the tools and items in them were not easily accessible. This problem ...
HAND PLANES AND PARING CHISEL USED TO GET PROUD JOINTS FLUSH TO DRAWER PART SURFACES For those that have followed my blog entries for this project, my last entry was a few weeks ago. Back then I had witnessed that my drawers seemed to be too wide, but after further measurements and inspection my drawers were just very tight. I needed to pare or make flush the proud dovetail joints on the corners of these drawer boxes. I have not worked in my shop for three weeks because I have bee...
PANEL SPACERS FOR MOUNTING DRAWER SLIDES In this blog post I am going to reveal how this engineer thinks, or solves some of these woodworking problems; especially if it involves a bit of mathematics. In this case it is simple addition, subtraction, etc. Many or maybe all of you may want to stop reading right here. That is fine. I am writing this mainly for myself so I have a record how I solved fitting these seven drawers into this cabinet’s bay. Once a problem is solved then the issu...
Even though it may be possible for the wood on this cabinet to soak up more coats of lacquer, I sprayed my last coat this afternoon. Anything else I might do will be to buff on coats of Staples dark brown paste wax. That should give this cabinet a nice look and feel. Tomorrow I will begin mounting the seven drawers in this cabinet. I will start with the top drawer by using two plywood panels to set its height and to hold the drawer and slide in place while I screw on the metal slide...
I began spraying finish on my tool cabinet today. I was undecided whether i should spray polyurethane or lacquer over the seal coat of aerosol clear Zinsser’s Shellac. i decided to give both a test. i sprayed MinWax polyurethane to the insides of this cabinet including the four shelves, but i also sprayed it on the backside of this cabinet. So for all other surfaces on this cabinet I sprayed Deft lacquer. Those surfaces were the panel top, both sides of the cabinet plus the cabin...
I sprayed two coats of Zinsser’s clear shellac today in order to seal the dye I wiped on all surfaces of this cabinet last night. Now I need to make a choice for the top coat finish. I have several cans of lacquer and polyurethane in my shop. Which should I use. This cabinet is a shop tool cabinet so durability is probably my biggest concern. I will study a couple of my finish books tonight. QUESTIONWhat finish coat should I spray tomorrow? Lacquer? Or Polyurethane? I al...
I placed the case up on its head so I could pre-drill screw holes from inside the case so the screws would be hidden when I glued and screwed the top on to the case. I had marked the sides of the case to match the location of the caster base so the caster base would be centered on the case. I also used a rule to mark the locations where I would pre-drill screw locations in order to fasten the caster base onto the cabinet case. I was using #8 – 1 1/4” square head screws t...
I spent more time inspecting my cabinet and its joinery. I used more putty to fill some of the gaps I found on the doors, etc. After the putty was dry I sanded those spots with my hand sanding blocks. The image below shows the inside surface of my drawer front. This is the original mix of TransTint dyes to make Charles Neil’s red cherry mahogany recipe. It goes on very thick so it nearly makes the wood grain disappear. That worried me some so I began thinking of thinning the recip...
Today I worked with detail finish work. For instance, I sprayed three layers of Shellac clear to seal the dye that I had applied to the poplar drawer front backs. With each of these drawers I had taped prior to applying the dye. However, the tape did not keep the dye from finding its way to where I did not want it. I decided that I would use my #4 smoothing plane on the sapele to clean the surface by removing the wood that got some of the dye on it. This included using one or real...
Today I glued and clamped the poplar breadboard ends to the the top plywood plate as well as the 3/8 inch thick trim around the base plate to cover its plies. Tomorrow I will need to trim the sides of this breadboard top. I will do that at my Saw Stop or I may use my #6 WoodRiver bench plane. We’ll see what will work best; maybe both. After I completed the steps listed above I determined my next step would be to resaw the large Sapele plank. I calculated that about 1/4 inch th...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1832 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Shop stuff - 90 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1857 entries
- dbhost - 455 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 277 entries
- robscastle - 267 entries
- shipwright - 259 entries
- William - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 241 entries
- bandit571 - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries