Pretty much done. Obviously there is a long list of finishing touches that I will be working on throughout the winter. But after about 3 years its finally a woodshop. And an art studio. And a ton of storage. And a built-in laundry. And remember that I was able to fit this all into a one car garage. One of my goals, other than to have a kick ass work space, was to show what was possible in a one car garage. I wanted to be a bit of an inspiration to other woodworkers who don’t have ...
After years of watching other woodworkers on YouTube, I thought it was time for me to join in. I have started a woodworking channel called Dread Knot Woodshop (you can find it here). The first video is a tour of my new shop and the second video is my first project in which I build a clamp rack. Please watch, like, and subscribe if you feel so inclined. I will be posting all future videos to this blog series for those of you that would like to follow along. You can find the first video he...
The last weekend in August I finally got around to erecting the woodshop/garage structure. It took 7 guys and a Gradall 13 hours to erect the building and finish the roof substructure. We lifted the small walls off the 50 footers and set the long walls in place first, followed by the smaller walls. I will say my cheeks were clenched pretty tight when the first 50 foot wall was lifted and spun 180degrees before being set. It’s really amazing to see all the work and how fast things come t...
This unusual summer has taken a toll on me both mentally and physically… I guess you could even throw in emotionally as well. My garage project has taken a back seat to some unfortunate timings and delays both with weather and scheduling conflicts. I have been able to knock a few small items off the checklist, but have not started any of the fun stuff. I dug a dry well for my downspouts and drains, plumbed drainage system, shoveled and wheeled 12 tons of stone to the dry well and founda...
This last weekend did not yield an overly fruitful progression on the microshop as the house soaked up most of my attention. I was able to start a portion of the inner framing to prep the walls for insulation and electrical placements. These types of sheds have LARGE frame centers but they’re still set on a 16” center around the perimeter. So, it is just a matter of filling in the missing sections and tying everything together. As you can tell nothing too complicated about it ...
After a few weeks of essentially doing nothing but research (including bugging my master electrician father inlaw) about how to NOT metaphorically shoot myself in the foot I finally broke ground on the electrical supply to the new shed. Graciously my father offered his tiller and his own back to help me get the trench dug and the 40 feet of main line put into it’s permanent location in just under four hours…no idea how long it would have taken without the now 24 year old tiller t...
I’ve had the new workspace in place for two weeks now and have yet to find the time or gusto to start in on its transformation. Whether the rain or my daughter’s birthday preparations are the cause of my lack of enthusiasm I do not truly know but I am spending this time planning and researching for my inevitable journey into a “microshop”. Yep, that’s right. For those in the know you probably did that face that accompanies a sincere feeling of empathy for tha...
Shop update for September 2014. Topics include:Mobile base for planerReclaimed wood desk organizersReclaimed coffee table I also mention and give a link to the other YouTube channel I started where I will be teaching music lessons, starting with piano. You can watch this update video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKLNK9iUZi4
The base for jointer keeps going this weekend. Worked in it only on sunday, and finnaly ended the woodworking part, remaing now just the finish and minor adjustments. Started by the enclosure. The dust drawer with exact dimension to accomplish a plastic dust port and 4” hose connector. Using 12mm MDF (about 1/2”). Removed the originally footer to made a minor changes. How these are just cosmetic items, I will added later justin gluing it in the base. This will give him a bet...
In this shop update I talk about the king size headboard I am building, which I have been showing updates on at my facebook page. I also give updates on the Pottery Barn bench and other things. Watch the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB1OkcsUK3o
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1822 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Shop stuff - 80 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1847 entries
- dbhost - 449 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 324 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 272 entries
- William - 258 entries
- robscastle - 256 entries
- shipwright - 255 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 226 entries
- bandit571 - 223 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries