After having the guide created for the wood screw, I needed to create the dowel that would become the wood screw. This dowel was created out of the birch wood I had from a shelf. I’m not an expert on the lathe, but decent enough to get it moving. After getting the dowel close to the 2.5” size, I’d take it off and see if it would fit through the 2.5” hole – go back and remove just a hair off here and there. I finally got it to the size and moved towards the next ...
Now in the first version I planned on making just a thread box, but decided to go use a router instead. In this picture the small block on top with dowels coming out of it is sitting on top of the block that will be the 2.5” guide for the wood screw. The top block will become the “nut” that pulls the screw through as the router is cutting the threads. The dowels were used to hold both pieces together while I drilled in a 2” hole first, which then I followed up with ...
Next I created the guide block for the tap (for the second time) in this picture you can see the block with a 2” hole and my paper template laying on top. The black on the metal is the part that will be used to guide the tap and create the nut. The wood I used was from an old shelf that I build when I was in high school – birch. In front is the LONG tap that I created out of popular. Yes, I know, not the greatest wood to use in creating my wooden screw jigs. On the right side...
As with everyone in the past 2-3 years, I started down the path to build my workbench which I wanted to have some wooden screws for the wagon vise and leg vise. I looked around to purchase some and realized that the price alone was reason enough to pursue building my own wood screw vise. So my search began with Google searching for how to do it. Luckily I came across CartersWhittling that gave me tons of information of how to build a screw. If you are looking to go down this path of build...
Hello again friends. Ok I know this bench build has been a little anticlimactic because you have seen the bench put together a million times. But this should be my final post on this bench build… maybe… I got the finish applied, added leather to the vices, and put a hand wheel on the wagon vise. After testing out the finish on scraps I decided to go with 1-1-1 (MS, Poly, BLO) on most of the bench. I sanded it into the top with 220 grit sandpaper to fill the pores some. J...
Welcome back folks. Progress has been slow but steady. I’m in the home stretch now. I need to finish up this leg vise, then the lower shelf and I’ll be ready for final assembly. A while back BrandonW gave me a Jatoba board. Its the same stuff I’m using on my deadman. Its beautiful dense wood and I’ve been milking every last scrap of it. I used the below scrap as my garter even though it is the checked end of the board. I ended up having to use a lot of superglue ...
Welcome back to my blog series folks. Thanks for following along on this long journey of mine. It’s hard to believe I started cutting up the parts for my top in January. It’s taken me almost a year. However there were some detours taken along with way on other project. I’m in the home stretch now! I needed a hub for the screw. One of the luxuries of making your own screws is that you can make the hub out of any wood you want. I went with some QSWO I had left from my stretchers. I think ...
Ok you are probably as tired of hearing about wooden screws as I am of trying to make them. This will be brief. New method picked up on this blog. Pretty self-explanatory. This method has much less room for error than my previous method. Basically, a lead “screw” I laid out and cut by hand attached to my blank via a coupler I made. I made it octagonal so it looks like a nut. The lead screw uses the same “false nut” the tap uses to advance the whole thing at th...
I think most of you have seen a lot of these pics on other thread but I’ll post them here for the Blog with more detail. As you know last time I tried to carve my screw by hand, it worked but was slow going. So I built the router jig but have been having trouble dialing it in perfectly. Here is the router jig I made. As you can see its a loose fit which is why I got a lot of chipping in the tips of the thread, I was cutting to deep. This is what happened when I fed my hand car...
Hello LJ’s, As noted in the previous post I’m halfway through the milling of my lumber. I’ve set that aside for the weekend when I can run my machines without waking the kids. For now I’m starting to work on the wooden screw for my leg vise. First I thought I would post some of my sketches for my wooden screw plans. Maybe they will be helpful for someone else. Sorry, not as pretty as Mads sketches… Here is what I got done last night. I had already glued...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1814 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 130 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1839 entries
- dbhost - 448 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 322 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 265 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 221 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- bandit571 - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries