Hello again friends. Ok I know this bench build has been a little anticlimactic because you have seen the bench put together a million times. But this should be my final post on this bench build… maybe… I got the finish applied, added leather to the vices, and put a hand wheel on the wagon vise. After testing out the finish on scraps I decided to go with 1-1-1 (MS, Poly, BLO) on most of the bench. I sanded it into the top with 220 grit sandpaper to fill the pores some. J...
Welcome back folks. Progress has been slow but steady. I’m in the home stretch now. I need to finish up this leg vise, then the lower shelf and I’ll be ready for final assembly. A while back BrandonW gave me a Jatoba board. Its the same stuff I’m using on my deadman. Its beautiful dense wood and I’ve been milking every last scrap of it. I used the below scrap as my garter even though it is the checked end of the board. I ended up having to use a lot of superglue ...
Welcome back to my blog series folks. Thanks for following along on this long journey of mine. It’s hard to believe I started cutting up the parts for my top in January. It’s taken me almost a year. However there were some detours taken along with way on other project. I’m in the home stretch now! I needed a hub for the screw. One of the luxuries of making your own screws is that you can make the hub out of any wood you want. I went with some QSWO I had left from my stretchers. I think ...
Ok you are probably as tired of hearing about wooden screws as I am of trying to make them. This will be brief. New method picked up on this blog. Pretty self-explanatory. This method has much less room for error than my previous method. Basically, a lead “screw” I laid out and cut by hand attached to my blank via a coupler I made. I made it octagonal so it looks like a nut. The lead screw uses the same “false nut” the tap uses to advance the whole thing at th...
I think most of you have seen a lot of these pics on other thread but I’ll post them here for the Blog with more detail. As you know last time I tried to carve my screw by hand, it worked but was slow going. So I built the router jig but have been having trouble dialing it in perfectly. Here is the router jig I made. As you can see its a loose fit which is why I got a lot of chipping in the tips of the thread, I was cutting to deep. This is what happened when I fed my hand car...
Hello LJ’s, As noted in the previous post I’m halfway through the milling of my lumber. I’ve set that aside for the weekend when I can run my machines without waking the kids. For now I’m starting to work on the wooden screw for my leg vise. First I thought I would post some of my sketches for my wooden screw plans. Maybe they will be helpful for someone else. Sorry, not as pretty as Mads sketches… Here is what I got done last night. I had already glued...
Still waiting on my oil to entirely dry. Meanwhile, I thought I would fix something that I knew would bug me all the time. My big honkin’ wooden vise jaw is too massive for the few inches of threading in the big wooden nut in the leg vise, and as a result the big wooden screw tilts downwards towards the jaw. See look: here in the very back of the leg you can see the nut: The nut is actually not glued into the leg at all; it’s merely held in place by those blocks that are...
Hello. I have now finished the tail vise, and today I had acually started work on the base. After I had got the dovetails for the tailvise fit and the pins on the guide rod I cut out the place for the pins to be inserted in the vise assembly. I then started work on getting the notches cut in the guide blocks for the sliding parts. Here you can see the guide rod in place, with the one guide block attached to the end cap with a notch for the guide rod to slide through aswell as a small notch...
I’ve been working on this bench for I guess 2 months now on my days off. It’s southern yellow pine. I dug around the shelf for at least an hour picking out boards at Home Depot, but could not find any without knots. Not one. Must be an Alabama thing. I decided that a wood screw was in order for my phantom vintage bench, and found one at Lake Erie Toolworks. I didn’t want to invest so much into a vice screw, but I could not find a vintage screwbox on e...
So in my last post, I mentioned the difficulty I was having boring the overlapping holes for the mortises that will receive the short stretchers of my bench. I was tired, but wasn’t gonna let it breaka my stride. This past Thursday was a federal holiday, and my wife graciously gave me the space and time to get in a lot of shop time. So I started with the flip side of the first mortise (from the last post) and was able to complete that and the mortises in two other legs. But when I wa...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1582 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1607 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 396 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 278 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries