Now that I have the plan in place for the end marquetry there is a little housekeeping to be done with the drawers. The pull out ones in the centre column are straightforward and relatively easy so I have already glued the marquetry to them. The tricky ones are the cantilevered drawers in the side columns.When last seen they looked like this. They were glued up but had no bottoms. The bottoms will be 1/4” plywood veneered both sides with walnut and ebonized. Because the plywood c...
Here is the progress of the tumbling variation box. Quite interesting as I made a lot of correction on the previous mistakes. Lippings on the lid.Notice that a small squaring block is clamp inside. This is to hold the lippings in place aligned to the inner side of lid. This serves also as stopper. Lippings on the side.This is much easier than the lid. I can use the magic of masking tape to hold it. Note that the bottom board is not fix yet. After planing, sanding, and routing...
Some folks had expressed interest in the way to make these… this is how I do them…It’s going to be a long one so, settle in, make sure that you’re in your comfy chair, and with your favorite beverage within reach…I’m currently making two small boxes and have the first one up to the point where its nearly ready to close up. So my attention turned to the two pairs of hinges I’ll need…Since the top and bottom panels are Mahogany, I thought it wo...
I spent the better part of a day, almost two weeks ago, cogitating and musing on an idea I had for another set of wooden hinges… The idea was to make a simple set, in the style of what I’ve begun calling “Finger Hinges”...This time I wanted two smaller ones, to put on either side of the box, rather than a “piano” style across the whole back… I also wanted them to thin almost to a point, as the fingers extended… I had a very hard time visua...
Its supposed to be a threat, I was never any good at those.- Slartibartfast Well I am. This method is not working. 1. The small (1mm square x 6mm long) piece that retains the hinge pin falls out. Remember I have used CA (superglue) on these. 2. On the ‘grain following’ rear/top hinge 1mm is too thin to hold. I could re-enforce with a 0.5mm piece, cross grained to this but problem 1. still remains. This means the end of this attempt at 3mm thick wooden hin...
Its been a mixed experience, today. Some things went well and others went….......well not so well.It looked incredibly complex to mark up all the little bits to be trimmed off so I went an easier route. The external dimensions of the box (well the first three anyway) are 42mm, cubed.With 3mm thick walls this means the inside width and length are 36mm. So I made up a former block 36mm square by a bit longer and placed it inside the box This holds the box square, allowing (w...
Here we are again. This time its time to cut the fingers on the two remaining pieces, F and B. B the back piece also has the hinge fingers for the lid. Basically offer up the relevant side, in this case Left (already cut) to Front and mark the cutouts with the knife blade. Do this for both sides of Front and Back (plus the top of the back piece) and cut out all the hinge fingers.Use the same method as before for cutting the single walnut piece for both F and B. Then slide the single wa...
Hello again. Now the ‘boards’ you saw in part one were oversize at 45mm wide, purposefully so. Its easier to glue up and cut. There is a small allowance for error, if one piece isn’t square with the next layer. So, first things first, cut out six of each wood 45mm square. I always cut a spare just in case of screw ups. The first shaping work will be done with two layers stuck together Spares to the right. The sycamore is glued to the Sapele with superglu...
To life the Universe and everything. As all you readers of Douglas Adams’ Hitch-Hikers’s Guide to the Galaxy will know. For me it is, as well as that, a quest for yet smaller wooden hinges. Don’t Panic (as the Guide says on it’s cover, in big, friendly, letters) I am prepared to fail on this one. This (lid removed for clarity) is what I am planning to achieve A, cubic, reversible box with sides that are 42mm long and high by 3mm thick (1.65” by just und...
A few months ago I spent many many hours trying to perfectly align a set of “box joint hinges” for my project ” A Little Cabinetree” After I finally got them working I installed them on the edges of the MDF sides and doors and then veneered over the whole works. The only good part was that there were enough left over prototype parts that I could make a hinge for my next project from the cast-offs Then this week I was making a tea box for a friend and when...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries