I finished lining off the planks today. Lining off is the process with which you project the final plank layout onto the hull. My first attempt at this didn’t go so well. Thanks to some suggestions from some fellow lumberjocks, I took the time to learn more about the process and I’m much happier with the results. The book, Building Small Boats by Greg Rossel, as recommended by DaveR, is an exceptional resource and I basically used the process in the lining off chapter. Results ...
Just a few more steps left before I can start putting the planking on the sides. Cutting in the Rabbet Between Stem and Keel The next crucial step is cutting in the rabbet between the Stem and Keel. This was done entirely by hand with a few sharp chisels. I used a small piece of wood (3”x1”x3/8”) as a template, representing the plank, to ensure a smooth transition as I cut away the rabbet. Here is the before picture: And the after picture. This was done on both ...
The First Garboard Plank The first plank is on! It has been the most difficult part of the build so far. I’ve gone through 4 planks to get it right. For my fellow LJers who may be wondering, I’ve put in a few hours here and there, but I’ve taken quite a bit of time away from the project since the holidays. I’m exciting to be focused again. The challenge with this is getting the plank flush and tight into the rabbit along the keel. It’s a tough plank bec...
Stevenson Projects Weekender Sailboat Build #15: My sail boat took a big step forward today...THREE DEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!
Well…your first thoughts to the pictures may be: “Looks like less boat then the last blog???” But that was the first dry fit…and so much has happened since then…today—while the pictures are a bit overkill…is a BIG DAY in our little boat… THREEEEEE DEEEEEEEEEEEE BABY! This morning we officially “assembled two of the assemblies”...and it went well…everything pulled down nicely and I am really pleased… Since the dry f...
Last week I shared the trials and tribulations of my transom attempt…which turned into a good thing…and I shared all the details there…but I did not post any pictures. I decided that I should take some pictures before I pull it apart and glue on the new transom…as I said in the last blog I am glad that I did another dry fit since the first dry fit the boat was not as far done…so with the parts closer to finished I have a much better idea of the prep steps and ...
Today we took all the assemblies…and fit them together as a dry run…I made a long list of things I need to do before I glue all the pieces together in stages…the list is pretty long, but after we took all the assemblies down I knocked two items off the list… This was a good practice run…I learned some things about what I need to do …and now seeing all the parts together will allow me to move forward…and I now have a game plan… The first pi...
Well after a busy first 3 weeks in the build I had a slow two weeks since Thanksgiving weekend ended… But today—-I finished off the hull by putting on the bow and transom pieces (boat ends). Seemed to take me forever but its done…and now once the epoxy firms up I will start working inside the boat…with only one more week of school….WOOT I cant wait! This is the finished shot…you can see my other sail boat build in the back… This ...
Hello, My name is Jeremy (firm cyber hand shake). This is my first blog entry for my account here at LumberJocks. Short intro. Please excuse my spelling. Spelling has been a struggle for me my whole life.A bit about my self. I was born in Marburg Germany, but have lived the larger part of my life on the west coast of the USA. I love anything I can do with my hands. Pottery, glass work, automotive work, carpentry, cooking, brewing beer… you get the idea. I love to learn and share. I a...
Its crazy to think that my last boat blog was back in January…while winter break was incredibly productive the spring semester for Mr. D was pretty busy and stressful…the focus for sure was on the job…which as TEACHER OF THE YEAR FOR 2011 I guess I do take my job pretty seriously! Summer so far has kept me busy writing a grant and wrapping up school work…and its crazy to think August is around the corner… BUT the GOOD BOAT NEWS…TODAY we assembled̷...
I am at 153 hours on the build and the boat weighs 805 lbs. In my last post I had finished installing all of the plywood. The bottom plywood still needed fairing to the edge of the side plywood and to the same angle as the side plywood. I had planned on doing this with a sander, after a comment from Paul (shipwright) I did this work with a power planer and man was that easy. I was able to keep the planer connected to my shop vac and there was no mess to be cleaned up either. Thanks, Paul. ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1660 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1685 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 400 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 281 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 229 entries
- Betsy - 226 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 208 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 201 entries
- robscastle - 189 entries
- Rustic - 189 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries