The First Garboard Plank The first plank is on! It has been the most difficult part of the build so far. I’ve gone through 4 planks to get it right. For my fellow LJers who may be wondering, I’ve put in a few hours here and there, but I’ve taken quite a bit of time away from the project since the holidays. I’m exciting to be focused again. The challenge with this is getting the plank flush and tight into the rabbit along the keel. It’s a tough plank bec...
I finished lining off the planks today. Lining off is the process with which you project the final plank layout onto the hull. My first attempt at this didn’t go so well. Thanks to some suggestions from some fellow lumberjocks, I took the time to learn more about the process and I’m much happier with the results. The book, Building Small Boats by Greg Rossel, as recommended by DaveR, is an exceptional resource and I basically used the process in the lining off chapter. Results ...
I have finished the boat!! It was launched this week. The boat did well on it’s sea trails, floated well and did not take on any water. I have 814 Hours in the build and the boat weighs 1749 lbs. But to not get to far ahead of the story, Since my last entry, I have trimmed the boat in White Oak stained to red mahogany, and finished with three coats of Sikkens Cetol Marine varnish. I made shaker style doors for the battery locker, the entrance to the cabin and a storage area under...
I have 718 hours in this build and the boat weighs 1703 lbs. Over the past Month I have finished painting the boat, Installed the rigging, Completed the wiring, installed the cleats, U-Bolts, Windows, seat boxes. The boat is very near completion, The first picture in this segment is where I am now. The first task I had this month was to make a rub rail. The rub rail is fitted near the top of the Hull and is the point that “rubs” the dock or other boats and absorbs the bl...
A REALLY interesting movie (1 hour 35 minutes) about building a wooden boat named Charlotte. There is a video on the website, they say it is low resolution and a small frame. I watched it on Hulu plus without commercials, but it can be viewed on the free Hulu with commercials. Be sure to watch all the way through the credits for the mast install and her sailing in the wind.Outstanding movie!!!!!! Amazing craftsmen!!!
Well after a busy first 3 weeks in the build I had a slow two weeks since Thanksgiving weekend ended… But today—-I finished off the hull by putting on the bow and transom pieces (boat ends). Seemed to take me forever but its done…and now once the epoxy firms up I will start working inside the boat…with only one more week of school….WOOT I cant wait! This is the finished shot…you can see my other sail boat build in the back… This ...
Well my boat finally got wet but not quite the way I’d hope its first taste of water would be. :-). The upside is that things are melting (slowly) here so maybe by the May long weekend I can really see how it will float!
Last week I shared the trials and tribulations of my transom attempt…which turned into a good thing…and I shared all the details there…but I did not post any pictures. I decided that I should take some pictures before I pull it apart and glue on the new transom…as I said in the last blog I am glad that I did another dry fit since the first dry fit the boat was not as far done…so with the parts closer to finished I have a much better idea of the prep steps and ...
Hello, My name is Jeremy (firm cyber hand shake). This is my first blog entry for my account here at LumberJocks. Short intro. Please excuse my spelling. Spelling has been a struggle for me my whole life.A bit about my self. I was born in Marburg Germany, but have lived the larger part of my life on the west coast of the USA. I love anything I can do with my hands. Pottery, glass work, automotive work, carpentry, cooking, brewing beer… you get the idea. I love to learn and share. I a...
I have 558 hours in this build and the boat weighs 1421 lbs. It has been over a month since I updated the blog. I have been working on finishing the topsides of the boat to get it ready to paint. In my last blog I had all the topside built except for the splash well. So my next job was to mix up thickened epoxy and fill screw holes and seams. While I was working on sanding thickened epoxy I removed the pilot house inside panels and my wife glassed them on saw horses. ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries