I have finished the boat!! It was launched this week. The boat did well on it’s sea trails, floated well and did not take on any water. I have 814 Hours in the build and the boat weighs 1749 lbs. But to not get to far ahead of the story, Since my last entry, I have trimmed the boat in White Oak stained to red mahogany, and finished with three coats of Sikkens Cetol Marine varnish. I made shaker style doors for the battery locker, the entrance to the cabin and a storage area under...
Winter is not the best time to be repairing a shipwrecked sailboat in the Pacific Northwest but my sailing buddy and fellow boatbuilder Michael has been plugging away whenever the weather and his other commitments would allow.When I last checked in we had got the big hull damage closed up and there were just a few small holes left. September October January I am pleased to report that she is now all sealed up and pretty much ready for paint both inside and out. The paint, ...
The First Garboard Plank The first plank is on! It has been the most difficult part of the build so far. I’ve gone through 4 planks to get it right. For my fellow LJers who may be wondering, I’ve put in a few hours here and there, but I’ve taken quite a bit of time away from the project since the holidays. I’m exciting to be focused again. The challenge with this is getting the plank flush and tight into the rabbit along the keel. It’s a tough plank bec...
Its crazy to think that my last boat blog was back in January…while winter break was incredibly productive the spring semester for Mr. D was pretty busy and stressful…the focus for sure was on the job…which as TEACHER OF THE YEAR FOR 2011 I guess I do take my job pretty seriously! Summer so far has kept me busy writing a grant and wrapping up school work…and its crazy to think August is around the corner… BUT the GOOD BOAT NEWS…TODAY we assembled̷...
Today we took all the assemblies…and fit them together as a dry run…I made a long list of things I need to do before I glue all the pieces together in stages…the list is pretty long, but after we took all the assemblies down I knocked two items off the list… This was a good practice run…I learned some things about what I need to do …and now seeing all the parts together will allow me to move forward…and I now have a game plan… The first pi...
Last week I shared the trials and tribulations of my transom attempt…which turned into a good thing…and I shared all the details there…but I did not post any pictures. I decided that I should take some pictures before I pull it apart and glue on the new transom…as I said in the last blog I am glad that I did another dry fit since the first dry fit the boat was not as far done…so with the parts closer to finished I have a much better idea of the prep steps and ...
Stevenson Projects Weekender Sailboat Build #15: My sail boat took a big step forward today...THREE DEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!
Well…your first thoughts to the pictures may be: “Looks like less boat then the last blog???” But that was the first dry fit…and so much has happened since then…today—while the pictures are a bit overkill…is a BIG DAY in our little boat… THREEEEEE DEEEEEEEEEEEE BABY! This morning we officially “assembled two of the assemblies”...and it went well…everything pulled down nicely and I am really pleased… Since the dry f...
Well after a busy first 3 weeks in the build I had a slow two weeks since Thanksgiving weekend ended… But today—-I finished off the hull by putting on the bow and transom pieces (boat ends). Seemed to take me forever but its done…and now once the epoxy firms up I will start working inside the boat…with only one more week of school….WOOT I cant wait! This is the finished shot…you can see my other sail boat build in the back… This ...
I have 558 hours in this build and the boat weighs 1421 lbs. It has been over a month since I updated the blog. I have been working on finishing the topsides of the boat to get it ready to paint. In my last blog I had all the topside built except for the splash well. So my next job was to mix up thickened epoxy and fill screw holes and seams. While I was working on sanding thickened epoxy I removed the pilot house inside panels and my wife glassed them on saw horses. ...
Just a few more steps left before I can start putting the planking on the sides. Cutting in the Rabbet Between Stem and Keel The next crucial step is cutting in the rabbet between the Stem and Keel. This was done entirely by hand with a few sharp chisels. I used a small piece of wood (3”x1”x3/8”) as a template, representing the plank, to ensure a smooth transition as I cut away the rabbet. Here is the before picture: And the after picture. This was done on both ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries