About a year and a half ago I got a picture in my head of a box with basketweave, white roses and a tiger swallowtail. After a few days sketching and different ideas I came up with a design. This blog will show how I did the marquetry for this box. I did not take pictures while building the box, the marquetry was my main priority. I wanted it to look like something that was made to be used, not fancy, utilitarian, etc. The white oak for the box frame came out of a 100+ year old barn co...
[Legebla en Esperanto] [Above] Now take one of the 3 inch pieces and put it on the bar in front of the clamp head that you recently glued onto the bar. Mark the height of one of the side members of the head on the 3 inch piece. N.B. in this position the area above the head is going to be the fingers. [Above] Using the other 3 inch piece, place it in the ‘finger’ area of the one you just marked. Center it from side to side and mark where it sits. [Abov...
[Legebla en Esperanto] [Above] Take the 2 inch piece and measure 1 inch from one end. That end is henceforth the bottom. Mark the center between the sides and put a dimple in that spot. I used a convenient nail here. [Above] Now, using a 5/8 in. bit (or better, one just big enough for the nut,) drill a hole just deep enough for the 3/8 in. nut. You can see my hole is a little large. [Above] In the center of the shallow hole you just drilled, now drill a 3/...
[Legebla en Esperanto] I recently built two more of my wooden bar clamps. I decided to take photos along the way to show how they are made. These are made of 1×2 pine. Most of my bar clamps are of a very similar design. I’ve used them. They haven’t broken and they hold wood together during glue-ups. Using a stronger wood would make the clamp… well, stronger. N.B. I made these with basic hand tools. Using better tools will yield a more professional looking proje...
I vowed to myself that if a certain dresser were still on the curb on the morning of trash collection that I’d grab the drawers for myself. If I had a pickup truck, I might have grabbed the carcass as well. The tops are often of use. As I began breaking the drawers down, I noticed on one drawer front that someone had put the holes for the drawer pulls in the wrong spot and had filled them in. Oops. The drawer fronts have a veneer, but the core looks to be solid popla...
Hey Lumber Jocks. It’s been a while since we’ve been on here.. We just incorporated some custom iron in our woodworking! Check it out! http://www.woodboardsandbeams.com
I’ve received the brass hardware back from blasting and polishing. Now I can start cutting and laying out pieces for the carriage! I’ve spoken to several retired navy sailors and found out that people would take spent shells and or parts from decommission ships and cast them into other parts. So WM.C. Capehart was probably the person that made the cast pattern and the U.S.S. Vulcan was a repair ship that served beginning in the 1940’s and was scrapped in 2006. Here is the Wi...
Hi folks! So, having broken my faithful mallet, I set out to make a new one out of some hardwood stretchers that I reclaimed from a pallet. View on YouTube
A while ago I saw a chest of drawers on the curb, out for the trash. I didn’t have room for the carcass, but I grabbed the drawers. The drawer fronts were plywood covered with veneer. Unfortunately I didn’t know this until I started planing them down. Pretty much ruined as plywood, I used them to make a bunch of John Heisz style push sticks. One small bonus from these was a few pieces of hardware. I got two mending plates and two corner brackets. All hail ...
I sold my old lumber storage solution which was… inelegant, to put it lightly. I am purposely storing this set of lumber outside, half because I ran out of room in my indoor storage, but also to have a bit of weathered wood handy, should the need arise. I went simple with this, using some pallet runners, I bored some holes at a slight angle ever so slightly undersized for the conduit pieces I had prepared as shelf supports. I then attached the wood brackets to the wall and hammered in...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1832 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Shop stuff - 90 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1857 entries
- dbhost - 455 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 277 entries
- robscastle - 267 entries
- shipwright - 259 entries
- William - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 241 entries
- bandit571 - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries