Just a few pictures of the completed project. !https://s3.amazonaws.com/vs-lumberjocks.com/o7k8m34.jpg ! In this blog I never mentioned how I made the tailsock as I had used it from the first lathe I made. Is is made from a section of rectangular steel tube, 1/4 wall, A Vee was cut out of opposite sides and then welled back together. The top tube was a piece of seamless drill pipe from the oil field. The internal parts was machined from solid stock. The number 3 morr...
The first time I attached the motor, a 1 hp industrial dust proof motor that I bought for 20$ and then Replace a 20$ bearing, would have liked more but thought this one was a good deal, I made steel blocks and hinged it on that. I rattled and made too much noise so had to come up with another plan and mount it on rubber bushings. What I came up with is rubber bushings in the end of a scrap shock absorber. Then weld it to a steel plate using a dowel to line up the bushings, made tabs to...
So far the lathe was built without any need use a tape measure etc. just a stick would have been enough, Today we need to use fine measurements down to .001 inch. micrometer needed, but one could just machine to fit. The first thing is to make two collars with a 1 5/8 inch inside diameter. I think I used 2 inch stock from making the spindle insert. Drill and bore. I almost forgot to drill a hole to make a key way, since I do not have a broach. The center of the hole you drill is the o...
The first thing was to level the base using blocks and wedges, checking with a carpenters level in both directions, Then weld the headstock securely to the base frame work. That the easy part as the bed assembly is too heavy for to lift by anyone I know. But a chainblock secured to the rafters does the job with one hand.Fancy jig showing how I got the spindle pointing in the right direction, high tech Using the tailstock to determine the correct height, no mistakes that way, and usin...
As with any plant it is only as good as the root system, fertalize liberally with 20.20.20 imagination. I had some scrap 5 inch pipe that had held up the system to deliver scrap to the burner. Braces etc had to be cut off and then cut to length. I could get 2 pieces full length but one had to be made up in 3 pieces. Only had a couple inches left over. I then dragged a sheet of steel into the carport and built the base right on top of the steel sheet. That way you do not have to measur...
Today I will show the growth stage of the basic headstock, It will bloom in a later post with pulleys and indexing plate. I obtained a piece of hollow seamless heavy wall pipe in a short ends bin, would have liked a different size with a smaller hole but beggars can’t be choosers. 20$ I could afford, to cut a better piece it would have been about 60$. I wanted a hollow shaft so I would have the opportunity to use a vacuum chuck, homemade of course. First step was to lathe a threaded in...
I would like to share with how I grew my 1000 lb. SCRAP IRON WOOD LATHE. http://lumberjocks.com/projects/242698 I like to grow things BIG. Its a passion So what does it take to grow something, well first you need some viable seed You can just find it laying around. so this is what \i started with. Section of a Logging truck reach, pipe from a sawmill burner, piece a sawmill carraige, a piece of heavy angle iron, end of a camper trailer frame. Then add a key ingred...
Finally got the contractor-saw-base-turned-lathe-base done today. There just isn’t the room in the dungeon workshop for two table saws. Eventually I will haul the Skilsaw onto the upstairs porch and hang it out of the way. Getting back to the base, I measured the height I needed to fit the formula I gleaned off the Web: that magic height the centers should be off the floor in relation to where your elbow is. I added the five inches to the top of the base and boards along the bottom of t...
The lathe was powered by an old 1 HP Craftsman motor run through a jackshaft and a 4 step pulley, thespeed was somewhat variable. I had read about people adapting treadmill motors to lathes and decidedto attempt it. The first free treadmill was not operating because the controller was bad, but had a $300-according to the owner- motor, the second had no controller and the third had a controller I could not adapt. I bought a rebuilt MC-60 controller for $50.00 and my core and started down th...
So I went down to Springfield MO on Feb 14th to the Grizzly Showroom. Managed not to spend all of my money but sure put a dent in the bank account, but I think it worth it.The man reason for heading there was to pick up m new lathe, I didn’t want to wait for the new G0766 since it has now been pushed out to May 26th. So I purchased the G0733. I gotta say I’m impressed with it overall so far but haven’t done a lot with it yet. Give me a couple weeks and I will post a review o...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries