View on YouTube This was my first woodworking project and my first channel video. I decided to make a shovel with some leftovers of wood I had laying around my garage, its useful at the end of the day when the floor gets covered on flakes and dust.
There’s a good chance that I’ll be doing a lot more lutherie in the future. Through a connection my wife has as a music teacher, I’ll be apprenticed to a music store as a repairer of wooden instruments. I wouldn’t call this an absolutely done deal, but very likely at the least. I love the idea of having a unique job and this one could be fun as well. I gotta start binge watching all the guitar repair videos on Youtube. I haven’t met the owner yet, but he̵...
Hi fellow LJs. I must say that in my first couple of months here, I have learned a lot. This place is a wealth of knowledge and good ideas, and maybe some not too good ideas. But hey, we are all adults here, and we share our triumphs and defeats, good ideas and bad(if there really is such a thing), as well as good deals, trade secrets, and all other things woodworking. So I found a steal of a deal on the hardwood rough sawn lumber over the weekend. My excitement poured over on the insid...
In the following drawing the book “The Marquetry Manual” by William A. Lincoln tells you the window method is done by starting with the farthest piece in the background. This would be #1 in the top drawing. Instead of following the lines in the drawing drawing when you come to an adjoining piece you over cut (dotted lines) into the adjoining piece. Put glue all the way around it, with a tooth pic, I put my glue in aplastic coffee can lid. Wait for the glue to dry then draw or t...
I had never done a basketweave before so this is the process I came up with. At first it was one of those trial and error things, I’m sure we have all done this. I covered the inside and outside so I had to have 10 panels. A time consuming process, but I would do it again. In this picture I am shading both ends of the pieces. I do enough to make 2 or 3 rows. I put 5 or 6 pieces in and by the time I get the last one in the sand the first one is ready to be turned or taken o...
About a year and a half ago I got a picture in my head of a box with basketweave, white roses and a tiger swallowtail. After a few days sketching and different ideas I came up with a design. This blog will show how I did the marquetry for this box. I did not take pictures while building the box, the marquetry was my main priority. I wanted it to look like something that was made to be used, not fancy, utilitarian, etc. The white oak for the box frame came out of a 100+ year old barn co...
[Legebla en Esperanto] [Above] Now take one of the 3 inch pieces and put it on the bar in front of the clamp head that you recently glued onto the bar. Mark the height of one of the side members of the head on the 3 inch piece. N.B. in this position the area above the head is going to be the fingers. [Above] Using the other 3 inch piece, place it in the ‘finger’ area of the one you just marked. Center it from side to side and mark where it sits. [Abov...
[Legebla en Esperanto] [Above] Take the 2 inch piece and measure 1 inch from one end. That end is henceforth the bottom. Mark the center between the sides and put a dimple in that spot. I used a convenient nail here. [Above] Now, using a 5/8 in. bit (or better, one just big enough for the nut,) drill a hole just deep enough for the 3/8 in. nut. You can see my hole is a little large. [Above] In the center of the shallow hole you just drilled, now drill a 3/...
[Legebla en Esperanto] I recently built two more of my wooden bar clamps. I decided to take photos along the way to show how they are made. These are made of 1×2 pine. Most of my bar clamps are of a very similar design. I’ve used them. They haven’t broken and they hold wood together during glue-ups. Using a stronger wood would make the clamp… well, stronger. N.B. I made these with basic hand tools. Using better tools will yield a more professional looking proje...
I vowed to myself that if a certain dresser were still on the curb on the morning of trash collection that I’d grab the drawers for myself. If I had a pickup truck, I might have grabbed the carcass as well. The tops are often of use. As I began breaking the drawers down, I noticed on one drawer front that someone had put the holes for the drawer pulls in the wrong spot and had filled them in. Oops. The drawer fronts have a veneer, but the core looks to be solid popla...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1823 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Shop stuff - 81 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1848 entries
- dbhost - 449 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 324 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 273 entries
- William - 258 entries
- robscastle - 256 entries
- shipwright - 255 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 226 entries
- bandit571 - 224 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries