A borrowed photo of Paul (Shipwright) Miller’s V8 workbench. I’ve been admiring Paul (shipwright) Miller’s wedge-driven vises and, honestly, all his other work for some time. I have been thinking about building a workbench. The other day, I suddenly realized a wonderful benefit of having an entirely shop-built wooden vise: It’s scalable. So, I decided to build a child-sized version of the V8 bench as a precursor to building a full-sized one for me. Paul g...
Pics will be on in a few min- will edit when I’ve got em all, hang in there ;) After making my small cherry smoother which worked great, I decided I wanted to up my game and build a more traditional styled plane. I also wanted it to be toted and have a harder wood for the sole of the plane. I chose to use cherry again because it’s what I had and it is very beautiful. For the sole I chose purpleheart- mostly because its what I had, but its also extremely hard and it is actua...
By Joshua Farnsworth (Writer at WoodAndShop.com) In my above video I share a tip that Roy Underhill taught me about how to tighten my loose hewing hatchet’s head. A few months ago, while filming a DVD in his school, I took the opportunity to ask Roy a question that I couldn’t find an answer to. He shared his advice, and I’ve been eager to test it out. He taught me that even though I already had a wooden wedge I could add a second metal wedge (at a diagonal) to add extra ti...
While this is the beginning of my construction blog for the V8 Degree bench, I’m not actually going to get into the build just yet. There are a few more features that I didn’t want to clutter the project post with and I’ve added a couple of demo videos on the vices. I thought it would be best to start with a full view of the bench and its operational features first and get into the construction process in the next segment. This photo shows the dog hole inserts that hide a...
Time to glue up. Since I painstakingly fit each tenon to it’s matching mortise, I was fairly confident that glue-up would go ok. To solve the short clamp issue, I went down to the hardware store & got some couplers to hook pipes together to get more length out of my pipe clamps. Also, I borrowed some longer parallel clamps from a friend – and I’m glad he had them! I did a dry assembly & everything worked great. It was a little tricky to do by myself, but I g...
One day this workbench may be done. It is made from construction lumber. 4×4s, 2×6s and 2×4s. Other than being a functional piece for my “shop”. I wanted this to be a learning process for joinery I have not attempted. The size is about 4’x2’x35”. The small size has been depicted by my small space, the front portion of a 1 car garage. My one goal was to complete the structure of this workbench using no hardware, i.e., nails, screws, bo...
Body done, wedge done, plane iron done. If you are anything like me, eagerness to see some shavings has replaced all other desires at this stage! With a bit of luck, paper thin shavings will be curling out of the mouth. Isn’t it great! If not, don’t despair…. LET’S FINE TUNE: 1. True the plane sole. This is done with the blade in place but well away from the mouth and the wedge set up tightly as it would be in use. Why? With the wedge set, our plane is in “tension”. The wood actuall...
It makes me REAL happy to see that some guys have been inspired to make their own planes! For that reason, I will patiently bear the slowness of my backwater farm style dial up connection….. The last part to be made is the wedge. Just a simple piece of wood but with a very important function! Not only does it hold the blade firmly in position, it also acts as a chip breaker of sorts. Remember when we made the plane body (Part II) there was this little off cut piece to be saved? This...
I have just about finished the bench. As it is right now, everything is functioning and I have moved it over to the actual work area. Tasks completed include:1) Mounted clips on the stretcher for the face clamps;2) Drilled holes in the bars of the face clamps so they can be adjusted with speed pins;3) Milled and mounted the drop-in clamping blocks for the tail vice clamps (used in the well);4) Cut and mounted the planing wedge to the front rail. Here are the pics.I don’t have a pic of...
Time to turn my attention to the back. The locking mortise and tenon had been designed and it was now time to cut the mortises in the sides of the back. They were marked thru the holes in the sides and tape placed on the back to give the ends of the mortises. Using the horizontal router table. A view from the side. All of the wedge key tenons were made long so they are now being cut to the appropriate length minus 1/8” to allow for the back to move. And cut the wedge tenons to the co...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1558 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1583 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 395 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 275 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 175 entries