Here was a recent project that I completed. It’s a weather station. The components include a barometer, hygrometer, and thermometer. It makes a great gift, and can be done in just a few hours. As always you can check out my website at: www.woodlogger.com to see more projects and videos of what I’m doing in the shop.
The last step in the process is to install the magnets. If you’ve followed this blog you may recall how I messed this up in the first Weather Station. Here’s a link to that particular mistake and my solution. http://lumberjocks.com/newTim/blog/7909. Of coarse the best solution is to get it right the first time. So here goes. I started by glueing in two magnets using CA glue. This time around I splurged on a 10MM drill bit to match the 10mmx5mm magnets. It seems it is muc...
I remember Sen. Bob Dole telling the story of a day spent with his father loading hay bales into the barn’s loft. When he reached down to pick up the last one his dad stopped and asked, “do you know which one that is?” He went on to answer, “that’s the one we’ve been looking for all day.” Well sure enough I’ve finally gotten to the part I’ve been looking for. This is where all the templates, jigs, drilling, and such come together. N...
There are a number or holes required for this project. Here’s a list of purpose and sizes. Galileo = 1 1/2”, Dowels = 5/16”, Magnets = 10mm, Clock/Instruments = 2 3/8”, back air holes 3/4” to 1”. Here’s how I usually set the depth of cut. Instead of measuring from the top I set the drill to stop a distance from the bottom. To locate a centerline I usually rip a piece of scrap and butt the part up against a stop so both are flush to the ed...
Some may remember the old Seinfeld episode where George decided his normal way wasn’t working out so he vowed to do everything opposite. While things started going in his favor Elaine’s life became like George’s old life and Seinfeld remained even. Not that that has anything to do with woodworking, I was just looking for something clever. In any event I mentioned in Blog 1 that in the original project I was fighting gravity so I decided to remedy the situation by doing th...
This is a simple project that is made more so with a couple of templates. In fact I would not know how to line things up accurately without them. I use two kinds of templates, one to line up drilling and a couple to space the wings. For pictures and previous discussion check out my project page and blog series. I start by laying out the design on graph paper and tape that to 1/4” masonite cut to the same size as the inner top and bottom. I then sandwiched an identical size pi...
So here’s the finished version. I applied two coats of GF Seal-A-Cell along with two GF top coats and a coat of wax with a lot of rubbing. First some bad news/good news. If you read my previous blog entry “I am repelled” I went through the process of fixing the magnet mistake. Well here’s another little oversight. The temperature tags on the balloons in the Galileo are metal. That’s the bad news. The good news is they are outside the range of the magnets i...
So here’s a little advice. When you are working with matching sets of magnets, great care should be taken to make sure to set them in place so that the poles do not… Oooooops! Dag-nab-it! #$%^$#&*! Yup, you guessed it. How embarassing is that? I glued the magnets in backwards so they repelled each other. What to do? What to do? How am I going to fix this mess? Should I throw it away and, gulp, make a new part? Is there a way to reverse polarity? Turns out there i...
I thought the piece needed a little pizazz so I added ebony strips to the top and bottom. Ebony and maple look great and I think it added alot to the overall look. Next came sand, sand, sand… then a fairly straighforward and uneventful glue up, except one little thing. Check out the next blog entry to see a major screw up. Besides tape I also used a countersink bit to bevel the edges of the upward facing holes to help control squeeze out. It seemed to work pretty well and by the lo...
Now that I finished the Japanese Garden Bench I had the chance to begin a project I’ve been noodling about since Christmas. This is exactly how I like things to go. Always have a book to read, always have a project on the bench, always have a project set to go. BTW, the book, Atlas Shrugged. 1,100+ pages. The most relevant book I’ve read, I highly recommend it, but I digress. In the pictures you can get a sense of what I’m shooting for. A Galileo Thermometer flanked w...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries