While I was waiting for the glue to try on the weave blanks….. I made a few wine bottle balancers .. These were made from some of the European Walnut and Cherry I bought a few years ago..the one on the end is Camphor cut across the grain The group shown here are all Camphor Laurel… with Australian Pennies inset in them… A close up shot… There is no finish on any of them… I will be spraying a water based finish shortly… and then watch the grain p...
Q: What do you call a drawer that doesn’t open?A: Rework. Okay, lame joke but it’s a decent intro to the challenge of finding drawer pulls for this Roubo Cabinet of mine. Design constraints? Not many, but they’re important ones. 1. Stout enough to work on drawers full of tools (potentially heavy)2. Aesthetically in sync with the cabinet (I’ll know it when I see it)3. Hardware can’t stick out / interfere with the sliding deadman First thing I thought of were those wildly unde...
The Roubo Cabinet has been in work now since March. Weather is incredibly oppressive this month, with temps in Southern Illinois routinely in the mid-90s. And the humidity? As I’m fond of saying, “At least it’s a wet heat…” My shop is not climate controlled so going inside to work lately means sweat to the point of dripping within the first 5 minutes. I wipe down tools a lot, and myself too. Yuck. But this project is still in OPEN status, so turn on the squirrel fan, turn up the radio and let...
Well, with the boards for the top cut to rough length and rough thickness, and the general layout for the top decided on, it’s time to start squaring up the lumber and getting ready to glue the top all together. I started out with jointing one face and one edge flat and square on the 6” general jointer. I set up a roller stand to the exact height on both the infeed and outfeed side. It’s time consuming, but squaring all the lumber is probably the single most important step i...
I posted the frame before. Here is the completed mirror.Fan is for visual interest. heehee The inset 1/4” ply adds more protection than Kraft paper, no?
My wife and I built out new house last year and I decided that I would make the stairs. I am a fan of Greene and Greene and admire the Hall Bros. work on staircases so I designed the stairs in the “GnG” style. It’s going to be a big project to work on in evenings and spare time, but I have more time than money – so that works out.The stock is all air dried Black Walnut with Mountain Mahogany accents. Rails run from 1” to 3 1/2 “ thick – I designed the paneling for the wall, but...
Not only do I love maple and walnut, but I think they love each other too. They look so damn good together… they work well together, and they compliment each other beautifully. What more could a couple ask for? Well tonight I managed a wee bit of shop time. Between my 4 hours of sleep last night, being up at 4:15 am, and dealing with a two year old and a four year old that don’t play nearly as nice together as maple and walnut do, it wasn’t much shop time. But it was enou...
Today was a very productive day. I had a some time to ruff turn my big black walnut blank and put it on the shelve to dry completely. There also was some time to finish my walnut root bowl and the small cherry bowl. I’m still improving my skill set with every bowl that’s finish. I must say if I look back at the first day I started turning and successfully broke a tool whiles impaling a peace of test wood into my garage wall. I’m much more comfortable with the different speed of the lathe and ...
Hey guys. I have finished the knights for my uncle’s set a couple weeks ago now, so the set is complete! All I have left is to weight the pieces and finish the bottoms off with some felt (and glue some small balls to the top of the white bishops). I used hand saws to remove the bulk of the material, and a dremel with carving bits to do some of the rough shaping. Then I used an X-acto knife to carve the details, and finished with some sanding and buffing. I worked on all four knights at ...
Ah the pith. That very core of the tree, that for some reason, is remarkably unstable in use as lumber. The inclusion of the pith in some of the beams I have obtained all but ruins an otherwise solid thick chunk of wood. It really pithes me off. All kidding aside. I can probably still make some good use out of these beams, even the ones with the pith in them, with some thought into my cuts. I was contacted last week by an old woodworking acquaintance, Maxwell. He told me he saw my b...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1828 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Shop stuff - 85 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1853 entries
- dbhost - 452 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 275 entries
- robscastle - 263 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 233 entries
- bandit571 - 229 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries