Been playing with another wood toy project.Bought and down loaded the plans for the Bull Dozer from Wood Store Net.I was looking at the High Gear Dozer from Toys and Joys but you have to order the plans which is fine but I wanted to get started now not two weeks from now. Well here’s what I’ve got done so far. Now I’m going to start at the Beginning. LOLI’m building with Walnut I found while scrounging and Mahogany from a bed also found lumber.The plans show a f...
The second part of the leg glue up is pretty complicated. Luckily, my Father In-Law was in town for the holidays and he gave me a hand getting all the parts in place. For the through tenons, I used a small amount of glue on the faces of the tenons to minimize squeeze out. Once the legs and “window frame” pieces were all clamped up, I taped off around the mortises. I then forced glue into the top and bottom of the mortise before driving the walnut wedges in place. Removi...
Ok, first was a late-nighter, to get things glued up.. Four of the F style clamps, and that pipe clamp. Pipe clamp was to pull everything into square. Checked the diagonals each way…30-1/2” Seems to be good enough. Stacked a few other parts on top.. Note the little metal bracket? I had a few sets of these Stanley Chair brackets from a yard sale, might as well use them in the corners as reinforcements. Ok, let this mess set awhile. Woke up today, back was 95% pa...
It is only Tuesday and I am tired. I have been feeling under the weather lately, but I made some decent progress today. I put the saw till aside for now and will get back to it when I am ready to carve the next piece as well in the interest of efficiency. I worked up a piece of Paruvian Walnut that had been sitting in the back of the shop for the case top and bottom of the tool cabinet. I chose to do it next as I wait for my bench hardware to arrive. I could have definitely used a moxon vise ...
Well, since the last time I was here…...Got a glue up somehow done. Test fit wasn’t too hateful…..tried to clamp it up with glue on the tenons…... Well after letting that mess cure for a day or so…... Did you ever have to use a hammer while clamping up a glue up? One Pipe clamp kept trying to rotate right back off….Add a c clamp to put a stop to that. Had to rotate the second one, for a better “grip”. Then had to add the third...
Next up was to shape the arms. Again, credit goes to Hal Taylor and his plans for making this build possible… The arm blanks are the two wider boards right in the center of this photo: The first step in shaping the arms is to put a cove in the blanks to form the curvature where your arms rest. This was a really interesting operation—one that I never wouldve thought to attempt. I built a jig that slides along a board clamped to my table saw. The jig holds the arm bl...
This time I’m starting to make the top for the table. Since it’s going to have a solid wood frame around it, I need to use veneered panels. I show how to make shop sawn veneer and get it ready for veneering. Then I show how I glue it to the substrate, and how to use the vacuum bag to press it to the substrate. I had a lot of fun doing this as it is a new process for me. If you would like to learn more about the vacuum bag veneering process, I recommend going to Andy Pitts’...
I’ve got a few days off for the holidays, and i’ve been able to get a little more work done on my desk project. I’ve been trying to figure out what type and color wood I want for the inlays and accent pieces. After talking with the guys at the local woodcraft, I picked up some trans tint 0 black dye, a chunk of walnut and some walnut veneers. I played around with these (and after dying my hand black, be careful with this stuff), but did not like the pitch black look. A f...
Well, Landlord WAS coming over to finish the painting upstars…..fell asleep. he will TRY to get over here in the morning….he says. Wandered down to the shop, to see what sort of trouble I could get into…. Had three parts to make tenons on….two had curved sides. Might be a bit tricky to clamp in the end vise? I picked out a scrap of walnut from when I sawed the curved parts. Had to trim the ends back a bit.. So I could clear the “work area”...
Project was put on hold for almost two days….van needed work, had three planes needing rehab…..finally got some time in the Dungeon shop this evening… The bottom shelf is out of the clamps, and cleaned up. Will cut to final size WHEN I find out what it will be.. laid out for the long aprons/stretchers. Hmmmm, foot of the legs is a bit too small. Had to cut a larger “flat” where the stretchers will go….and still keep them off the floor, too. trim...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1692 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 69 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1717 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 402 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 286 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 203 entries
- robscastle - 196 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 190 entries
- Dave Rutan - 189 entries
- Rustic - 189 entries