So maybe about half a year ago I saw a posting for a walnut slab on craigslist about 2’ by 5’ by 4 to 5-1/5” thick so I jumped on it and picked it up. The plan has always been to make a coffee table out of it, but for a while I had neither the time nor motivation to really start working on it. It’s in pretty rough shape (I have no idea who took this piece down, but it looks like it was resawn with a chainsaw). I have since moved 1200 miles with it and finally st...
Walnut Dining Room and Foyer #3: Finished Foyer Table and Tealight Holder, On to Dining Table Design
I finally finished the foyer table – the top turned out great. Even though I was suprised / disappointed at the big knots during the resawing, they are what most people comment liking when they first see it. I attached the top with steel z-clips from woodcraft – 2 on each end since the ends were bowed up a little. After I finished the table, my wife (nonchalantly) mentioned how a tealight holder would be nice to put on the bottom shelf. So of course I had to build a custom ...
While yesterday seemed like a LONG day in more ways than one (long stories – never mind!) at the end of the day when things were all said and done, I was able to sit back and look at the accomplishments and feel pretty good about things. There are some times when I really feel as if I move slow with things. I paint slow. I draw slow. I design slow. But as I look at all the projects that I have finished up, I can honestly look back with a sense of pride that what I have done is some...
I will keep things short here today because I have writing to do. I know I promised that the reindeer and sleigh pattern would be ready today, and it may be later on, but I probably won't really have everything done, including the site update, until tomorrow (Thursday). Sometimes things just take longer than expected. I will say though that the pattern will really be a nice one. I spent the day yesterday working on the 26 step-by-step photos that I will include with it. That is ...
I spent the day yesterday finishing up the remaining three poses of reindeer for my reindeer and sleigh vignette. Now all I need to do is assemble the two additional deer pattern packets and also the sleigh packet and I will be good to go. I had estimated that the sanding and assembly of the three deer would take half the day, and I planned to take the other half to kind of coast and do some things around the house, or some of my personal creating, but as usual I grossly underestimated myself...
After about 6 coats of Arm-R-Seal (I use gloss for the first few coats because it is easier to deal with, then satin at the end), it’s looking pretty good. I knocked off the rough spots between coats, and thinned it a bit for the last couple of coats. I’m very pleased with the color and the finish. Arm-R-Seal is a funny finish, because you have to be patient through the first couple of coats before it starts to look good. Here are a few pics.
Sometimes good planning really does pay off. I am not saying that everything went 'without a hitch', but in the end, the build on my new Christmas sleigh worked out pretty well. I am really pleased with it. When 'building' three dimensional pieces such as these, to me it seems like there is so much more involved than just cutting fretwork. While the fretwork design is a really important part of the piece, on something like this, it is just that – a part – and ...
Don’t want to jinx it by gloating too much, but coming into the end of my most satisfying accomplishment yet. Building a trophy/plaque/award in honor of a lost friend. A last minute thing that had to be ready to go Sunday morning. Tapped the bullpen and called in the old man, who introduced me to Rockler where I found two pieces of walnut crotch that I said would “make do.” Sanded. Stained. Somehow, put a perfect edge on the base with the router; didn’t screw up the...
I didn’t take any photos of the ebonizing process originally, but since several people expressed an interest I made a little video today. It shows the process in real time on a piece of off-cut Walnut from one of the legs. Ebonizing is a simple process that lots of people do and it works well on any naturally high tannin wood. I understand that with the addition of outside tannin in the form of a tea wash it can be effective on non tannin bearing woods as well although I have no expe...
Last fall I entered my “Music” table in the Sidney Fine Arts Show on Vancouver Island and while it didn’t sell, it did attract a lot of attention. After the show a local woman contacted me and asked if I would build her a couple of little end tables. I said “sure” and the process began. She brought me the pair of nesting end tables that she wanted to replace as an indicator of size and general design but she also showed me a photo of another set that she liked...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1463 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1487 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 236 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 198 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- stefang - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries