I’ve got a few days off for the holidays, and i’ve been able to get a little more work done on my desk project. I’ve been trying to figure out what type and color wood I want for the inlays and accent pieces. After talking with the guys at the local woodcraft, I picked up some trans tint 0 black dye, a chunk of walnut and some walnut veneers. I played around with these (and after dying my hand black, be careful with this stuff), but did not like the pitch black look. A f...
Well, Landlord WAS coming over to finish the painting upstars…..fell asleep. he will TRY to get over here in the morning….he says. Wandered down to the shop, to see what sort of trouble I could get into…. Had three parts to make tenons on….two had curved sides. Might be a bit tricky to clamp in the end vise? I picked out a scrap of walnut from when I sawed the curved parts. Had to trim the ends back a bit.. So I could clear the “work area”...
Project was put on hold for almost two days….van needed work, had three planes needing rehab…..finally got some time in the Dungeon shop this evening… The bottom shelf is out of the clamps, and cleaned up. Will cut to final size WHEN I find out what it will be.. laid out for the long aprons/stretchers. Hmmmm, foot of the legs is a bit too small. Had to cut a larger “flat” where the stretchers will go….and still keep them off the floor, too. trim...
I have a job where I need some thin stock ( about 1/8”) and my planer does not crank down that low for some reason. I also have some blocks that are about 6 1/2” square that I resawed for this project and they spin around in the planer because they are so short. I have often thought of using a sled to carry them through the saw and now I really need something like that. I planned to put a rail on the back for the cutter to cut against ,but the rollers push the wood through a...
After the base assembly is complete, I start working on the sliding mechanism that will carry the split top. I use maple for some of the parts, and walnut for the slides that will be attached to the table top when I complete it. Although not very complex, it is a design that demands precision to work correctly. You Tube Link – https://youtu.be/KXypIMnhh3g As always, I welcome your questions and comments! To get updates of this build as I go along, please follow me on Inst...
Note to self….IF one closes the shop for the night…..do NOT go back out there. tried to pull an all-nighter….not. Anyway, laid out some curves and ran the bandsaws….tried the Texas bandsaw, still can’t follow a line…Bandsaw #2 seemed to at least try. Starting to get a few more toys down in the shop.. Drawknives, a spokeshave, couple low angle block planes…..Needed the spokeshave to remove the saw marks on the curves… Got both lower ...
Well had drywall to do for the weekend, kind of got behind on the Walnut Project. Last seen, I had a glue up going on… Jointed a pair of edges to book match them. Used a Jointer plane for that. A Stanley #7c works nicely. Got out a few clamps and the glue.. Two clamps under and a clamp over in-between. A piece of sandpaper was between the clamp and the glue. No stains that way. Let this sit a few days, until I could get back down there…. Removed the clamps toda...
The back braces were made by cutting thin strips, “lams,” and then laminating them together on a form. Each back brace consists of four lams. The top and bottom lams are Walnut, the same as the rest of the chair. The middle two lams are quarter sawn ash which gives them strength and flexibility. The lams are just shy of 1/8” thick and were cut on the table saw. This operation is generally not something I’d consider doing on the table saw—as its pretty much...
I didnt take a whole lot of photos of the front legs, but here are the few I got: Post #1 shows the slabs and the pattern that was used to outline the front legs. The first photo shows me rounding over the maloof joint to match the radius on the seat side of the joint. The maloof joint was cut the same as the back legs, but without the 6 degree splay (see the previous post). Fitting the joint: The next step was to add the adder block. I dont have a photo of it, but th...
Well, I got four to mill down into …..something. Set up a plank on the bench, scibed a few lines. I wanted four pieces 3" wide, with whatever was left for other parts. I got four 18” long, and two @ 17” long. Two of the planks, including this one, are 5/4 stock. The other two are just 4/4 stuff. Had the circular saws in from the trunk of the van, and took the larger one down to the shop… I can keep it on the shelf until needed. Made a big mess on the...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1660 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1685 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 400 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 281 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 229 entries
- Betsy - 226 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 208 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 201 entries
- robscastle - 189 entries
- Rustic - 189 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries