Here is a short update of just my work last night. Laid out and drilled my row of dog holes 3” apart. Sorry, galoot index is Zero on this one. I used a ¾” spade bit to make the wholes. Let me just say that I think spade bits are underrated. If you don’t need to make a flat bottom hole or drill overlapping holes I like them better than Forstner bits. The spade bit leaves a pretty clean entry whole and cut pretty fast with a lot less effort IMHO. Drilled out for the second end C...
While this is the beginning of my construction blog for the V8 Degree bench, I’m not actually going to get into the build just yet. There are a few more features that I didn’t want to clutter the project post with and I’ve added a couple of demo videos on the vises. I thought it would be best to start with a full view of the bench and its operational features first and get into the construction process in the next segment. This photo shows the dog hole inserts that hide a...
I put my wooden screw build on hold for a minute. While I ordered the router bit I needed to build the thread cutting jig I made some progress on the top. Here is a quick review from previous blogs of how I got to this point: The raw materials:Started with a green table I got for free from a cabinet shop. Very cupped due to the piths in the slabs. Cut out the piths. I ended up with the good parts which were all quarter sawn, about 2.5” Red Oak. The knots will be hidden on th...
The bench I’m building is a small one due to very limited shop area (about 10 by 4 feet), so the top is 40” by 10” (laminated pine) plus tool tray (about 6” wide). As for vises after some considerations I decided to go for leg vise and the wagon vise. It took me a while, but now top and wagon vise are ready. Here is my wagon vise kit ready for assembly: The hardware is a 3/4” (19mm) machine screw with square brass nut ($10 flea-market find). The scre...
This weekend I had time to work on the Wagon Vise. Overall it came out really nice. I also attached the top to the base, so it’s all one piece now. I’m using a standard veneer press screw for the Wagon Vise, nothing special and it’s cheap. The first step was to bore a hole for the thread bracket, that the screw runs through. I have to tell you boring through end-grain is a bit of a pain. I should have bored the hole using my drill press, before I glued the piece in place. Next ...
I’ve been giving a lot of thought to which bench design would work best for me. I still like the first bench I designed, based on a Frank Klausz style bench with a few modifications. As I started to think about building the bench I knew it was going to be ambitious, in skill and time. I went back to the drawing board so to speak. I reviewed all of the information I had gathered in my workbench research. One bench started to standout and it was the Holtzapffel bench, which Christopher Sch...
OK, lets get started. I will go through the build process in the same order that I built the bench and as a non-working concept of wedge power would have been a deal breaker, the first job was to build a wagon vise or two to make sure they would work. I was fortunate enough to find a small local mill that would sell me some really nice local arbutus (madrone in USA). This is about 50 fbm and I have about ten left over. After milling up some nice 1 7/8” stock and a bit of 3”...
Not much progress since last time, but still some. First of all, I made my wagon vise a handle. It’s been cut from raw oak stock that I took from my country house almost two years ago. I started with planing it to be a square, then to be octagonal, then I doubled number of edges yet more couple of times, and finished with some very light sanding. To make end knobs I used my poor man’s lathe: Time after time I use it to turn knobs, handles and such: And here is my ...
I decided to put a wagon vise in my bench. I considered a traditional L-shaped tail vise, and also a twin screw end vise. But I really like the simplicity of a wagon vise. Furthermore, since I’m limited on shop space to the tail end of where my bench will be, I thought a wagon vise would consume the least amount of real estate off of the tail. And finally, a wagon vise seemed like it would be a really cool project to build! I hadn’t planned out the exact dimensions of the v...
I have been experimenting more and more with hand tools, and I learned quickly you need a proper workbench to get the most out of hand tools. The last bench I built works really well for power tools and assembly, but it’s not stout enough to handle hand planning. It also lacked the necessary vises and bench dogs needed to secure your work. So I began my search for the perfect bench to use with hand tools. I’ll tell you right now, perfection is hard to come by for workbenches. Everyone ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1197 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 66 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1219 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 332 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 294 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 208 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries