One of my goals in renting the space for a shop is to build all of my shop fixtures in anticipation of moving them to my own permanent shop in a future home where I’ll have the dedicated space for one. I cannot make a move now as my folks are elderly and in need assistance at this point. However, renting the space for this shop has offered me some time away from the stresses that unfortunately accompany the aforementioned. I come here and tune out other issues until I return home. R...
When you’re building a traditional piece of furniture, it makes sense to keep everything… well, traditional. You wouldn’t put a digital face on a Townsend clock. But a workbench is different. We built our bench in the Roubo style for its features more than the old-timey tradition. (Watch our 2X6 Roubo woodworking bench videos here) So equipping it with a modern vise isn’t sacrilege, it’s a no brainer. The only question is, what kind of vise is right for your bench. There are primarily two kin...
Wagon vise was the first vise I built and used intensively during workbench construction. It worked great from the very beginning, the only thing bothering me was poor steel-on-steel friction conditions just where the pressure applied – between crank and garter plate. The solution came from workbench smackdown thread guys: thrust bearings. So one day I disassembled my wagon vise and upgraded it with thrust bearings. Plus I did couple of other things: shortened the handle (no nee...
So I’ve decided to use 2 pipe clamps for the face vise, and a veneer press screw for the wagon vise. FACE VISE: EARLIER IN THE BUILD, I drilled two holes all the way through the bench from front to back, and durring the glue-up, left spaces for the movable parts of the pipe clamps to be inserted. In use, I can make large movements in the vise by releasing the clamps from the top. Those spaces can fill with shavings, but I can pull them out with my fingers, and if need be, easily pu...
So the first phase of my workshop reorganization/upgrade had to be my workbench. In my first entry I mentioned that my current “workbench” was actually two metal framed shelving units which stand 3’ tall and have a plywood top. When I bought my home in 2011 this shelving unit was already in the garage half loaded up with old paint, left over tile and a few extra trim boards for the kitchen cabinets. At the time, I didn’t have the setup or time available to start bui...
I did follow the WoodWhisperer’s plans for the dog holes as well as many of the other elements. I reversed the dog hole jig to make one for the dog block which was canted in the opposite direction. The only thing that accomplished was it kept the 3/8” strip on the movable dog block on the same side as the glue-up. Routing the dog holes went smoothly, lots of sawdust and shavings! Gluing the thin strip to the routed piece with a full length caul. Broug...
Hello all! Let me first just say that I should change my name to The Lurker. I don’t post much but I might be tied with some of you for the most page views. I check lumberjocks more times every day than my wife checks facebook. Though I built a workbech when we first bought our house four years ago (24 hr. workbench), lem with woodI have never been totally satisfied with it. It has served me well but I have serious workbench envy. I’m a hobbyist and make/fix things around the h...
Not much progress since last time, but still some. First of all, I made my wagon vise a handle. It’s been cut from raw oak stock that I took from my country house almost two years ago. I started with planing it to be a square, then to be octagonal, then I doubled number of edges yet more couple of times, and finished with some very light sanding. To make end knobs I used my poor man’s lathe: Time after time I use it to turn knobs, handles and such: And here is my ...
The bench I’m building is a small one due to very limited shop area (about 10 by 4 feet), so the top is 40” by 10” (laminated pine) plus tool tray (about 6” wide). As for vises after some considerations I decided to go for leg vise and the wagon vise. It took me a while, but now top and wagon vise are ready. Here is my wagon vise kit ready for assembly: The hardware is a 3/4” (19mm) machine screw with square brass nut ($10 flea-market find). The scre...
OK, lets get started. I will go through the build process in the same order that I built the bench and as a non-working concept of wedge power would have been a deal breaker, the first job was to build a wagon vice or two to make sure they would work. I was fortunate enough to find a small local mill that would sell me some really nice local arbutus (madrone in USA). This is about 50 fbm and I have about ten left over. After milling up some nice 1 7/8” stock and a bit of 3”...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries