While this is the beginning of my construction blog for the V8 Degree bench, I’m not actually going to get into the build just yet. There are a few more features that I didn’t want to clutter the project post with and I’ve added a couple of demo videos on the vises. I thought it would be best to start with a full view of the bench and its operational features first and get into the construction process in the next segment. This photo shows the dog hole inserts that hide a...
Why I wanted to Build a Moxon Vise Work benches are low. When I was first learning about traditional woodworking, I noticed how low my friend’s workbench was. He informed me that the lower benches were better for hand planing. This is true, but sometimes you just want to work with something at a higher height, for instance cutting dovetails. This is part of the reason why I found the idea of a Moxon vise so appealing. It’s a large, double-screw vise that is detachable from ...
OK, lets get started. I will go through the build process in the same order that I built the bench and as a non-working concept of wedge power would have been a deal breaker, the first job was to build a wagon vise or two to make sure they would work. I was fortunate enough to find a small local mill that would sell me some really nice local arbutus (madrone in USA). This is about 50 fbm and I have about ten left over. After milling up some nice 1 7/8” stock and a bit of 3”...
If you have 3/4” bench dog holes on your bench and a couple of handscrew clamps then in 10 minutes you can merge the two into a very flexible and powerful clamping system that works with small boards, long boards and even irregular pieces. I’ll let the photos tell the story … and keep in mind, the modification to the handscrew does not prevent you from using it as an ordinary handscrew too. I use them on my workbench and my sawbenches. Clicking on any ...
Hard to believe, I know. It’s been over a year since I announced the workbench complete, although there was always that missing part, that loose end that had to be tied off in order to officially declare it a complete project. Not only was it a loose end (literally, the vise screw was hanging loose in it’s slot), but it was a missing integral part of the bench that I kept on wishing I had setup and functional. The Wagon Vise to hold down boards for planing flat and similar work...
When I ordered the BenchCrafted hardware I also ordered the hardware for the Moxon vise. Not only was I inspired by BrandonW’s bench but also his Moxon vise. So, it has been sitting in my shop for about nine months. Brandon’s Moxon Vise The plan is to make a Moxon Vise Bench-top Bench because when I doing fine work I find myself slumping over for extended periods of time. That kind of zaps the fun of it after a while. Furthermore, I admit to being spoiled when comes to h...
I wanted to do this for a long time and had the parts ordered and delivered a while ago, but one thing led to another and this was kept on the back burner and never saw the light of day. Ironically, it is now finished but still with no light of day as it is almost 11pm… All it gets is the light of the moon (which some may say is better). I really liked benchcrafted wagon vise (even a free plug for them) But for what it is I think it’s a bit overpriced (for a vise). Don’t ...
With the top done, set the leg assembly in position next to the face vise. And the end vise slides to make sure everything still fits. Square everything up and mark the spot where the hex bolts attach the top to the top rail. I used the top rails as a jig to get the holes straight and drilled from the bottom toward the top to just where the brad point stuck through the top surface. This gave me a pilot for later drilling the counter bore in the top for the ½” bolts that attaches the...
Here is the leg vise i made, it works OK, but i can tell the force it puts on the mounts i made are going to fail over time. (see pic below) Then i came across this picture of an old black smith vise and wondered why hadn’t anyone one done one like this before? seemed simple, strong and fairly fool proof (ie Me Proof) So off i went to build my own:1st i turned a wheel using 2 pieces of 6/4 hard maple, laminated together.then i epoxied and pinned some 3/4” acme rod...
This project is a fine example of the 80/20 concept. it takes 20% of the project time to complete 80% of it, and then, 80% of the project time to finish the last 20% of the project. As it gets to the details, things take longer to think through, plan out, cut…mill…glue… and finesse. this time it’s the leg vise Chop, and although not completely finished (still need to trim, round off, and apply BLO), it’s construction is done. I was originally planning to us...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1387 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1410 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 229 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 193 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 180 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 166 entries
- stefang - 164 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries