The paint had all week to dry, I expected the gloss to fade a bit over the week. It did not, and still looks wet. Not the exact look I was going for, but it’ll be fine. removing the painter’s tape shows just how good that 3M blue tape is; no bleeding along the tape lines. Time for assembly, and the first thing will be attaching the jaw inserts. On the Shop King the inserts are screw on (I think that is something that Wilton does with all their vises). The problem with this...
Ok so it isn’t Tuesday, but I thought I would share another review on a great product. I really enjoy testing out tools and this one was one of my favorites. There are a ton of great things about this vise. It has really been helpful in my blacksmithing hobby as well as my woodworking. You can’t go wrong with a Bessey Tools product. Check out the video review here. Feel free to leave comments and please subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
While my basement shop continues to grow (much to the chagrin of my wife, who thinks this whole “woodworking thing” is just a phase I’m going through), it is still a pretty tight space. I’m thus always on the look-out for devices that lend themselves to portability and, preferably, affordability. In that vein, I recently picked up a small 6” portable “carpenter’s vise” at Harbor Freight. Now, I know many of you more seasoned woodworkers may thumb your nose at ol’ HF, but for cheapos like m...
Seems like a lot of work for not much to say. I got the wagon vises roughed in and the second side of the bench top glued up. The vises were a challenge mainly because my vises aren’t as tall (thick) as the original design. Here is the wagon vises in mock up, I built the back wedge portion to original design height, I did this in order to make sure I got the slope right. I’ll trim them down as I do the final fit.Here is a quick mock up of how the top and vises will set up. ...
Installation of the wagon vise hardware – very easy to follow directions! Gluing up the paduak for the leg vise. If you are going to use the crisscross system, ensure you have a minimum of 2 1/4” final thickness on your vise as the cavity routed for the hardware is considerable. Plywood top is in place and vise hardware is partially assembled. Couldn’t resist trying the hardware out after the right front leg was drilled for the holdfast clamp...
I meant to post this in my workbench re-tool blog, but I never took all the picture needed to finish that. Oh well. This is a nice way to make the handle that comes stock with a Lee Valley vise a whole lot better. 1. Get rid of the square head screw that it comes with. It looks cool, but needs to be tightened with some regularity and my square head screwdriver is never around when this needs to happen. Also, since it rides above the surface of the head there are situations when it can mar ...
For the disabled woodworker, wrangling the standard front vise handle while dovetailing is a constant burden. See how the vise handle interferes with the legs. Enter the Moxen Vise. This vise was built from hardware made by Benchcrafted. Here is the Moxen Vise in standard mode. That’s great, but it is too high for the disabled woodworker. The solution is to flip the Moxen Vise over and lower it about four inches. Here it is flipped over and ready to be attached ...
I’ve been wanting a shaving bench. And since i can’t help but contemplate the design concepts behind what i’m about to build, i contemplated the fundamentals of how a shaving horse works. I thought “Great. But why not like this?” .. as an alternate mechanism for clamping a work piece in position sprang to mind. The contraption looks to me like a giraffe stretched out to drink, or the head of a giraffe, so I call it the shaving Giraffe rather than shaving Horse. W...
Not much progress since last time, but still some. First of all, I made my wagon vise a handle. It’s been cut from raw oak stock that I took from my country house almost two years ago. I started with planing it to be a square, then to be octagonal, then I doubled number of edges yet more couple of times, and finished with some very light sanding. To make end knobs I used my poor man’s lathe: Time after time I use it to turn knobs, handles and such: And here is my ...
Previously, I had run out of time to complete the tail vise on my workbench: This weekend I finally got the time to remedy that situation. I started off by routing the dog holes in one of the boards, then gluing up the leg vise block. The dog holes are spaced at 3” for versatility. Then I needed to figure out what to remove for the various pieces of the vise hardware. Some time was spent with the adjustable square to figure out the recess locations. Note: the measureme...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1828 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Shop stuff - 86 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1853 entries
- dbhost - 452 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 276 entries
- robscastle - 263 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 233 entries
- bandit571 - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries