Not much progress since last time, but still some. First of all, I made my wagon vise a handle. It’s been cut from raw oak stock that I took from my country house almost two years ago. I started with planing it to be a square, then to be octagonal, then I doubled number of edges yet more couple of times, and finished with some very light sanding. To make end knobs I used my poor man’s lathe: Time after time I use it to turn knobs, handles and such: And here is my ...
Previously, I had run out of time to complete the tail vise on my workbench: This weekend I finally got the time to remedy that situation. I started off by routing the dog holes in one of the boards, then gluing up the leg vise block. The dog holes are spaced at 3” for versatility. Then I needed to figure out what to remove for the various pieces of the vise hardware. Some time was spent with the adjustable square to figure out the recess locations. Note: the measureme...
I finally got some shop time this weekend and had a chance to complete my leg vise. After my last building session, I had left it basically functional, but lacking a couple bells and whistles to make it really nice. The first addition was a guide wheel on the underside of the parallel guide. I bought another plastic wheel from Woodcraft and mounted it below the guide. It looks like it could become an ankle biter, but I haven’t run into any problems yet. It’s only pock...
The bench I’m building is a small one due to very limited shop area (about 10 by 4 feet), so the top is 40” by 10” (laminated pine) plus tool tray (about 6” wide). As for vises after some considerations I decided to go for leg vise and the wagon vise. It took me a while, but now top and wagon vise are ready. Here is my wagon vise kit ready for assembly: The hardware is a 3/4” (19mm) machine screw with square brass nut ($10 flea-market find). The scre...
I did not get as much done as I wanted this weekend. Just a few notes and pics of the glue-up and assembly. One goal I had was to make the front chop square with the table top. The glue up had to be perfect because it didn’t want the chop or table top to slip. If it does, then I would have to plane the entire surface of one of these until getting back to square and flat and, knowing my skill level, would probably just end up chasing my tail. To help with this, i decided to plane a...
I was fortunate enough to be able to take off Christmas week and get a good start on my workbench. I’ve had the idea to build one in my head for a few months now, and have been slowly accumulating the parts and hardware necessary. My intention was to make it possible to take the bench apart and move it with relative ease since I will be moving it from my dad’s shop once I have a shop of my own (side note: apartments suck). I used southern yellow pine, special ordered from Men...
When I ordered the BenchCrafted hardware I also ordered the hardware for the Moxon vise. Not only was I inspired by BrandonW’s bench but also his Moxon vise. So, it has been sitting in my shop for about nine months. Brandon’s Moxon Vise The plan is to make a Moxon Vise Bench-top Bench because when I doing fine work I find myself slumping over for extended periods of time. That kind of zaps the fun of it after a while. Furthermore, I admit to being spoiled when comes to h...
My new workbench is finally coming together. Follow the blog link on my site to view images and information. The bench is Cherry and Maple and will feature a chest of drawers on the front with 3 cabinets on the rear. Well it has been some time since I have posted. I’ve been working on several projects for my customers and managed to sneak in some time on the workbench. I have quite a bit more work to do to complete the bench. But it is at least in a usable form and I’m enjoying it already....
Some time ago I purchased a scroll saw off Craig’s List. The guy I bought it from also gave me some old hand saws. I got them home and cleaned them up a bit. Upon inspecting the teeth I realized that they needed some work. I decided to make a saw vise so I could sharpen them. I made a video of the techniques I used to build one that I found in the SketchUp 3D Warehouse. It’s made of some white oak that I had laying around. Perhaps you’ll be inspired to build one of your own....
A good friend of mine came across this old vise. It was rusted a bit when he got it. We didn’t get any pictures of it in its original condition though. I recommended he use the molassas method of de-rusting it. He did that for a couple of weeks. We then took it to the car wash to spray it off and then dry it off. He scrubbed it a bit, then lubricated it a bit to loosen up a few joints and it works like a charm. I’ve never seen one of these quick-release mechanisms bu...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1560 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1585 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 395 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 276 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 175 entries