Late last night I ended with some small boards getting glued into larger boards. Well this morning while the little guy was sleeping I was able to get those out of the clamps and start getting them to final dimensions. I purposefully made the glue ups larger than needed to I can trim them to size and make up for any irregularities encountered during the glueup. First order was to simply clean them up 4 square.. Then I ripped the sides to get to final width (did a little of...
This is something I have been planning on building for a few months now. I have been putting it to the side until today when I realized I could really use it right now for my layout swap item. While I was building my workbench I was searching the net for vises just to get some ideas and inspiration for the ones on the bench and I came across the Benchcrafted Carvers Vise. It looked pretty nifty but like many of their products I simply cannot justify the price when it can be made fr...
I was asked by a fellow LJ to describe my double-Pipe-clamp face vise. So here it is, for any who might want to do something like this. I’ll break it down into 2 sections: 1. Building the thing2. Advice to myself and others for improvements. HERE GOES… 1. Building: a. What I had to start with: My current bench sits in the corner of a 2 car garage, and was included with the house when we bought it 5 years ago. It is just a 2×4 frame with a piece of 3/4”...
Here is the leg vise i made, it works OK, but i can tell the force it puts on the mounts i made are going to fail over time. (see pic below) Then i came across this picture of an old black smith vise and wondered why hadn’t anyone one done one like this before? seemed simple, strong and fairly fool proof (ie Me Proof) So off i went to build my own:1st i turned a wheel using 2 pieces of 6/4 hard maple, laminated together.then i epoxied and pinned some 3/4” acme rod...
The paint had all week to dry, I expected the gloss to fade a bit over the week. It did not, and still looks wet. Not the exact look I was going for, but it’ll be fine. removing the painter’s tape shows just how good that 3M blue tape is; no bleeding along the tape lines. Time for assembly, and the first thing will be attaching the jaw inserts. On the Shop King the inserts are screw on (I think that is something that Wilton does with all their vises). The problem with this...
Ok so it isn’t Tuesday, but I thought I would share another review on a great product. I really enjoy testing out tools and this one was one of my favorites. There are a ton of great things about this vise. It has really been helpful in my blacksmithing hobby as well as my woodworking. You can’t go wrong with a Bessey Tools product. Check out the video review here. Feel free to leave comments and please subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
While my basement shop continues to grow (much to the chagrin of my wife, who thinks this whole “woodworking thing” is just a phase I’m going through), it is still a pretty tight space. I’m thus always on the look-out for devices that lend themselves to portability and, preferably, affordability. In that vein, I recently picked up a small 6” portable “carpenter’s vise” at Harbor Freight. Now, I know many of you more seasoned woodworkers may thumb your nose at ol’ HF, but for cheapos like m...
Seems like a lot of work for not much to say. I got the wagon vises roughed in and the second side of the bench top glued up. The vises were a challenge mainly because my vises aren’t as tall (thick) as the original design. Here is the wagon vises in mock up, I built the back wedge portion to original design height, I did this in order to make sure I got the slope right. I’ll trim them down as I do the final fit.Here is a quick mock up of how the top and vises will set up. ...
Installation of the wagon vise hardware – very easy to follow directions! Gluing up the paduak for the leg vise. If you are going to use the crisscross system, ensure you have a minimum of 2 1/4” final thickness on your vise as the cavity routed for the hardware is considerable. Plywood top is in place and vise hardware is partially assembled. Couldn’t resist trying the hardware out after the right front leg was drilled for the holdfast clamp...
I meant to post this in my workbench re-tool blog, but I never took all the picture needed to finish that. Oh well. This is a nice way to make the handle that comes stock with a Lee Valley vise a whole lot better. 1. Get rid of the square head screw that it comes with. It looks cool, but needs to be tightened with some regularity and my square head screwdriver is never around when this needs to happen. Also, since it rides above the surface of the head there are situations when it can mar ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1406 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 86 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1430 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 230 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 194 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- shipwright - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 173 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries