For the past few days I have been in the shop cleaning, organizing, and router planing stock to build my work bench. Yesterday I came across a few things to part with via Craigslist and a few odds and ends for the scrap pile.One of my neighbors stopped over when he seen my old jeep with the back opened to my workshop door. We chatted for a bit, and he asked if he could send an old piece of junk with me to the scrap yard. Needless to say I found myself quite shocked when he thumped this dow...
Here’s a video about my version of Ron Paulk’s Workbench 2. https://youtu.be/YTM_jP5nvEo
Parallel guide chain mechanism To make the chain mechanism, I used #35 chain and the sprockets are 10T with a 3/8 center. The chain is attached using two chain links. I had to do some metal working to create a few items: the brackets to hold the sprockets and a way of securing the chain at both ends. I had a 1.5” rectangular steel tube in my scrap collection so I used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to make both brackets that hold the sprockets with 3/8 bolts. Big box store ang...
Screw assembly The face vise screw mechanism is all DIY. Here are the piece parts. The hand-wheel has been kicking around my basement for 15 years. I remember buying it on Ebay for a project I never completed. It was too nice to throw away, so it waited and waited until now to find a purpose. The acme screw and nut I picked up on Ebay more recently. I cut the screw to length and drilled the hole that holds the hand-wheel setscrew. I found a 5 inch brass plate 1/2 inch thick also on...
Top Assembly The top consist of two sub-assemblies: The lower half and the upper. The lower half is made up of two plywood sheets glued together, edged with maple and joined using doweled bridle joints. The doubled up plywood is attached to the frame using a basic butt joint strengthened with 3/8” dowels and glued down with epoxy. I used this method because my wood was not wide enough for the desired final dimensions if I rabbeted in the panel. This simple butt joint gave me some a...
Leg Assembly Two leg assemblies are part of the support system for the bench. I was going to use glued up 2×4s, but found some 12/4 poplar, so sawed that to shape instead. The legs are 2.75” thick and 4” wide, and the top rail is 2.75” square. The legs are angled at about 15 degrees. The 2×4 approach would have simplified cutting the angled slots, but then you have the hassle of cleaning up the glued up legs. The large hunks of wood making up the legs give them a nice soli...
So I decided I needed to finally build a real woodworking bench for my new workspace. I got all the books by Chris Schwarz, checked all the back issues of woodworking mags and browsed the internet in preparation. Then the first thing I did was break one of Chris Schwarz rules. I decided to design my own rather then duplicate a historical bench. I think I had valid reasons. My workspace is small. I could not fit a long bench. A short bench means planning forces have a bigger impact, so I d...
Recently I helped my friend, Laurie, set up a lathe and workbench in her shed/ workshop. For my pains (which weren’t that great, I thoroughly enjoyed it) she gave me this bench vise It’s going to need some restoring. Rest assured though I won’t just be admiring it when it’s restored. This vise will get some use. Although it’s a metalwork vise I do use metals in my projects. Such as the hinge pins for Snakes and Ladders. The jaws need some ser...
Hi all, Here is my first copy of this great design from the 30’s. I won the original (left of the picture) on ebay some time ago, and after cleaning it and trying it out I decided to make copies of it, mainly because my sister is studying to become a jeweler and bakelite is great for silversmithing and goldsmithing since it’s rather soft.I used this vise for cutting rather delicate scrollwork into horn and bone flats, with very nice results. The only thing that the original...
For a while, I had been working on saw horses with a melamine coated piece of MDF I picked up from the Ikea as-is section. After abusing that thing for 2 years, I figured it was time to embark on a build. My goal for the workbench was to make it as inexpensive as possible. I first thought of going the 2×12 douglas fir route, but opted to liquidate my stash of MDF. The MDF was laminated with Titebond and wood screws across 2 sessions. After finishing the lamination, I double sticke...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1695 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 92 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 69 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1720 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 403 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 287 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 232 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 204 entries
- robscastle - 196 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 191 entries
- Dave Rutan - 191 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries