After the holes were bored and the jaws were shaped, it was time for installation. Every vise hardware set is probably a little different, so I won’t get too technical here. The bottom line is that the mount assembly is positioned on the underside of the benchtop and screwed or lag-bolted into place. Then, the jaw is threaded onto the guide rods and screw, which are then run through their respective holes in the mount and secured. The screw is then tightened to snug the jaw up again...
I’ve been wanting a shaving bench. And since i can’t help but contemplate the design concepts behind what i’m about to build, i contemplated the fundamentals of how a shaving horse works. I thought “Great. But why not like this?” .. as an alternate mechanism for clamping a work piece in position sprang to mind. The contraption looks to me like a giraffe stretched out to drink, or the head of a giraffe, so I call it the shaving Giraffe rather than shaving Horse. W...
This is part of III of the blog series where the vise is disassembled and cleaned. Disassembly:I would like to take the vise apart, however it looks like I have to take a compromise. I decided to disassemble the vise as much possible. Once the pin at the rear of the vise was tapped out, I was able to tap the rear guide plate out. Once that is out, the back jaw assembly slides out easily. Now you could clearly see the threaded shoe. I also noticed there is a spring on the fr...
Late last night I ended with some small boards getting glued into larger boards. Well this morning while the little guy was sleeping I was able to get those out of the clamps and start getting them to final dimensions. I purposefully made the glue ups larger than needed to I can trim them to size and make up for any irregularities encountered during the glueup. First order was to simply clean them up 4 square.. Then I ripped the sides to get to final width (did a little of...
I’ve wanted a vise for quite some time. I was finally able to get one with some money I received for Christmas. I went with the Rockler quick-release front vise. I wanted the Veritas one, but there were other things I needed as well, so I went with the cheaper option so that I could get those other things. I don’t have a workbench yet, so it was a little more difficult to install in the worktable which I built before I really knew what I needed. It’s really just a big...
Edit: Thanks to everyone (esp DaveR) for their suggestions/help/nitpicking :D I completely redid the project and got rid of the wierd dimensions and such, and I’m much happier with it now. I didn’t bother with cutouts or shims for the vise this time since until I get one, thats kind of pointless, and overall tried to keep it simple. Here is the Sketchup File I had fun working on the Sheet Goods rack, I decided to get going on some of the other projects I have planned for t...
More details about the Guide nut – where you see the red, that is where I had to trim out part of the thread that prevents the screw from fully advancing as the thread is being cut. If you do this, then you’re creating the wood screw will be so much quicker than mine. Only thing you may have to fight is the depth of your router bit. If too deep, then the freshly screw will be loose in the guide nut. If not deep enough, the advancement of the screw will get nearly if not imposs...
Well it’s been a little bit since my last blog, but here is what I’ve been able to get done in the shop over the past little bit. I last left with a freshly glued up top, and a question on what timbers to use for the legs. Well I decided to use the four maple beams I had for the legs. Even though two of them contain the pith, and some rather large cracks, I would rather have that then 3 different types of wood that looked only slightly better, so maple it is. After the top w...
Now the dowel I used to make the wood screw was not the prettiest – as it had some knots and almost some bark within it – I figured most likely I would be using it for a testing and not an actual screw for the bench. I took the guild block/nut with the router bolted on top, clamped it to my current bench (hollow core door) and got ready to do my first test. I turned on the router, put my dowel in and started away. NOTE: I had about 3”-4” from my old dowel to use for ...
Not exactly a woodworking project, but will parlay into a workbench project to come. This is an old vise I got from my dad’s shop. I don’t know too much about it, but it says Desmond-Stephan Mfg Co. on the left side and Urbana, Ohio on the right. I restored it to useable condition and will mount it on my new workbench after building it. Before Restoration. A rusted mess! I used an “Electrolytic Rust Removal” process to remove the bulk of the rust. I couldn...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1815 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 130 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1840 entries
- dbhost - 448 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 322 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 265 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 222 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- bandit571 - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries