Ah the pith. That very core of the tree, that for some reason, is remarkably unstable in use as lumber. The inclusion of the pith in some of the beams I have obtained all but ruins an otherwise solid thick chunk of wood. It really pithes me off. All kidding aside. I can probably still make some good use out of these beams, even the ones with the pith in them, with some thought into my cuts. I was contacted last week by an old woodworking acquaintance, Maxwell. He told me he saw my b...
So far so good, there are no surprises. No cracks or breaks. As you recall from my previous blog post the vise will not turn. There is no sense of restoring the vise if you can get to move. So this blog is about getting the screw to turn.I searched for woodworking Columbian vise information. There don’t seem to be much. What I have found so far are mostly pictures and mounting information, but not the details that I am after. Hopefully I am correct in my selection of words in describin...
It’s interesting how it feels like you’re standing still when you’re working on already dry-fit parts for additional features. After all – at the end of the day when you look at all the parts – they seem to look just the way they did in the morning. bummer. but even though things don’t seem that way somethings. Progress IS progress, and is one step closer to the finish line. Today I implemented the hardware for the leg vise in the right leg (I’m...
Not much progress since last time, but still some. First of all, I made my wagon vise a handle. It’s been cut from raw oak stock that I took from my country house almost two years ago. I started with planing it to be a square, then to be octagonal, then I doubled number of edges yet more couple of times, and finished with some very light sanding. To make end knobs I used my poor man’s lathe: Time after time I use it to turn knobs, handles and such: And here is my ...
Here is the leg vise i made, it works OK, but i can tell the force it puts on the mounts i made are going to fail over time. (see pic below) Then i came across this picture of an old black smith vise and wondered why hadn’t anyone one done one like this before? seemed simple, strong and fairly fool proof (ie Me Proof) So off i went to build my own:1st i turned a wheel using 2 pieces of 6/4 hard maple, laminated together.then i epoxied and pinned some 3/4” acme rod...
I finally got some shop time this weekend and had a chance to complete my leg vise. After my last building session, I had left it basically functional, but lacking a couple bells and whistles to make it really nice. The first addition was a guide wheel on the underside of the parallel guide. I bought another plastic wheel from Woodcraft and mounted it below the guide. It looks like it could become an ankle biter, but I haven’t run into any problems yet. It’s only pock...
Wagon vise was the first vise I built and used intensively during workbench construction. It worked great from the very beginning, the only thing bothering me was poor steel-on-steel friction conditions just where the pressure applied – between crank and garter plate. The solution came from workbench smackdown thread guys: thrust bearings. So one day I disassembled my wagon vise and upgraded it with thrust bearings. Plus I did couple of other things: shortened the handle (no nee...
I hadn’t planed on making a new vise this weekend. It all started when a friend called and said his dad had a broken down craftsman radial arm saw. He had asked if I wanted it because he was going to haul it off to the dump, of course my response was heck yes! That’s a free tool stand at minimum. I tore it down and used the stand for my bench top drill press.I took the motor off to keep just in case I needed a replacement for something down the line. My 3 yr old was very fas...
The paint had all week to dry, I expected the gloss to fade a bit over the week. It did not, and still looks wet. Not the exact look I was going for, but it’ll be fine. removing the painter’s tape shows just how good that 3M blue tape is; no bleeding along the tape lines. Time for assembly, and the first thing will be attaching the jaw inserts. On the Shop King the inserts are screw on (I think that is something that Wilton does with all their vises). The problem with this...
I decided at this point that I should install the front and end vises with their wooden jaws prior to surfacing the top. So, my son and I (remember, 150 pounds or so) flipped the benchtop on its back, and I made sure the vise mounting spots were relatively flat and square to the edges. Then it was time to construct the wooden jaws, and obviously, whitewood would never do for this application. The only logical choice seemed to be maple, which is not available as a locally-produced wood. ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries