Lately I’ve been looking around trying to find inexpensive ways to make clamps to use in the shop. I think of my purchased commercially available clamps I own two 3 foot bar clamps and three Quick Grip clamps, plus two old c-clamps. Bar Type Clamps: The first information I found about making your own clamps was Alex Harris’ video. <iframe src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/OQFVzq41zFA” frameborder=”0” height=”315” width=”560R...
Here is the progress of the violin restoration as the continuation of this blog. In the process, the need for making the ribs of this violin is a must. After several try of bending the wood, there is no way but to make a jig that will hold the steamed wood while it is hot. So here are some of the photos: I made this using a two boards cut into shape of 3/4 inch plywood and laminated together. That was too thick. I realized later that the correct thickness is just one and 1/4 inch so ...
With some great advice from some LJ members I cooked up some Knox gelatin glue to put the back together. I mixed up one packet of gelatine with some water in a little glass jar and stuck that jar in the crock pot with a few inches of water in the bottom. Then I brushed in onto the to the two halves and rubbed them against each other while sitting on a flat surface, in this case the bed of my jointer. (My bench isn’t very flat, and I don’t think the glue will stick to the ...
My father being an all-around musician, bought 3 violins for us. Of the 3, mine was totally destroyed, My brother’s was already restored (I have already done it.) but the last one which was my father’s is now in my possession. This is so much special as this was loved by my father and been played much older than me. The only problem that I have seen is the glue which had given up due to time. Here is the situation after I had disassembled it. Regret that I was not ab...
Took me a little while to do the steel work on the jig. Have to make the somewhat C-clamp with push block. Cutting threaded bars and looking for the nuts. Shaping the push blocks (made from ebony) become tiresome after making 16 pieces. These are made from scraps. Here are some self explanatory photos… I give notes on some important aspects and ideas that you can grab suited for your project and availability of materials: Notes: 1) The piece that was bended was narra ripped by ...
I have have all the ribs formed, and glued onto the blocks. Wife’s old curling iron (shhh) makes a fine bending iron. The linings were more difficult than I anticipated. I ended up using a small branch from a goofy tree in my backyard. I think it’s some sort of cultivated form of birch, but it has pendulous branches like a willow. Whatever it is it worked alright. Still not thrilled with the how they came out so might take them out and try again. Practice makes,,,,,wel...
It stands to reason that if I need bridge jigs for a cello, [link 1] [link 2] I’ll need bridge jigs for a violin as well. I made these out of some scrap wood. The bridge fitting jig (on the right above) was made from oak. The string jack/lifter is from poplar. I made the blank for it at the time I made the blank for the cello string lifter. Brass hardware gives a tiny touch of class to jigs which are very utilitarian. I finished the string lifter with golden oak stain and th...
There are at least two instruments in the shop that need necks reattached. I was shown how to do this when the entire neck is detached, but two cellos are broken at the joint and the method shown me might not work so well. Google to the rescue! I found photos of commercially available models, selling for multiple tens of dollars, and decided I could make my own. I used some of the mahogany at my disposal, some 3/8 in. threaded rod, and some sheet cork I was given a few years ago. ...
Making a violin....maybe #1: The begining. A hair brained idea at attempting something kinda crrazy.
Violin construction has always intrigued me and I got a bug in my bonnet about 10 years ago to make a violin. No, I haven’t actually made one yet. Just a lot of false starts. I have carved a couple of tops and backs. first top I made I modelled (unwittingly) from a 3/4 size violin, I carved a back out of maple. I’d read somewhere that’s what the backs and ‘ribs’ the sides are made of. Turns out they are made of soft maple and I used hard maple. I made myse...
See more photos on my project page [link] A bow vise is used to hold a violin bow while replacing the horse hair that vibrates the strings. I started by looking up such a thing and finding photos of (mostly) the commercially available models. Then I printed out a few screen shots for the details. I didn’t absolutely duplicate the commercial model, but I got something that will work. The wood is oak throughout. A few bibs and bobs of the hardware will be replaced with brass once I ge...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1832 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Shop stuff - 90 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1857 entries
- dbhost - 455 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 277 entries
- robscastle - 267 entries
- shipwright - 259 entries
- William - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 241 entries
- bandit571 - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries