LumberJocks

Woodworking blog entries tagged with 'violin'

  • Advertise with us
View Dave Rutan's profile

Tool Gloat: Brass Purfling Channel Cutter

10-18-2018 10:18 AM by Dave Rutan | 0 comments »

This is essentially a specialized cutting gauge that is used to cut a thin channel in the edge of a violin so that laminated purfling can be inserted. There are several types of these available, but I wanted this one made of brass. Even though I’m not even close to creating a violin, at least I have a tool to help spur me along on my journey. The tool above the cutter is a thin specialized chisel used to dig out the material after the cutter digs the path. This gives...

Read this entry »


View Dave Rutan's profile

Violin Kit #7: Setting up

04-28-2018 11:16 PM by Dave Rutan | 3 comments »

!https://s3.amazonaws.com/vs-lumberjocks.com/p7×1uwq Putting the fiddle together and finishing it are just part of this process. A lot has to be done to set it up to be played. I began by re-reaming the hole for the end button since some of my finish got in it and made the hole smaller. Then I taped the tuning pegs. The pegs come bigger than necesary and should be tapered down for a new installation. If I were dealing with an older instrument, one that had seen some time and we...

Read this entry »


View Dave Rutan's profile

Violin Kit #6: Putting finish on

04-23-2018 11:12 PM by Dave Rutan | 7 comments »

Warning. Appalling methods below I finall got to the point where I feel I’ve finished the finish on this kit violin. I used water base mahogany stain and water base polyurethane. Purists will definitely not approve. The fiddle looks aniquey and old to me which is sort of what I wanted. One of the things I’m counting on with this finish is that the polyurethane will yellow over time. This should improve the look. Plus the wood should darken a little bit. The wood for the kit wasn’t the be...

Read this entry »


View Dave Rutan's profile

Violin Kit #5: Creating the saddle

04-14-2018 12:43 AM by Dave Rutan | 0 comments »

The only part of this violin kit that was not included, not mentioned in the auction description, not in the photos, etc., was the saddle on which the tailpiece anchor rides. I decided to make one from a piece of cherry that I got when a tree was taken down at our church.

Read this entry »


View Dave Rutan's profile

Violin Kit #4: Attaching the Neck

04-11-2018 08:44 PM by Dave Rutan | 3 comments »

First thing is to cut down the back button closer to the shape it needs to be. This will be trimmed after the neck is glued on. Glue is applied to both pieces and the neck is clamped into position. Not much pressure is needed for this. Where the neck joins the body, the gap is supposed to measure 6mm (or whatever the Imperial equivalent is). At the end of the fingerboard, the top of the fingerboard ‘should’ measure about 7/8 of an inch. Mine is a little bit hi...

Read this entry »


View Dave Rutan's profile

Violin Kit #3: Fitting the Neck

04-11-2018 08:22 PM by Dave Rutan | 5 comments »

The main part of this violin kit is fitting the neck to the body of the instrument. To do this a mortise must be created in the neck end of the instrument (the one opposite the end button end) that not only fits the neck root as tightly as possible, but also holds it at the proper angle and height. You start by cutting the overhand off the top plate, holding the neck in place for straightness and marking where it should go. Then you cut within your lines to a depth of about a quarter...

Read this entry »


View Dave Rutan's profile

Violin Kit #2: Small step, end button installation

04-10-2018 12:24 AM by Dave Rutan | 4 comments »

I decided to start by simply drilling and reaming the hole for the end button of the fiddle and fitting it in place. jj Next up, the hard part, fitting the neck.

Read this entry »


View Dave Rutan's profile

Violin Kit #1: Unboxing

04-05-2018 04:38 PM by Dave Rutan | 9 comments »

I decided to buy myself some education on lutherie. This is a kit that I bought from eBay, though it apparently is the same kit that you’d get from tomtop.com [link]. The body of the violin comes pre-assembled, but unlike the more expensive stew mac version, the purfling is already installed. I was actually expecting painted on purfling, so this was a pleasant surprise. I’ll need to create the dado into which the neck is fit and fit the pegs and drill a hole for the end button. The only t...

Read this entry »


View Dave Rutan's profile

Shopmade Luthier Tools #32: Brass violin crack clamps

02-13-2018 02:06 AM by Dave Rutan | 3 comments »

This is my violin posing with a set of violin crack clamps that I made with brass rod and plastic cut from a 1/2 inch thick cutting board. These function like flexible, light-duty bar clamps. I’ll meed to make another, smaller set since many of the instruments I repair are fractional sizes. Oh, no! Not more clamps!

Read this entry »


View Dave Rutan's profile

Shopmade Luthier Tools #31: Brass F-hole cleat clamps

02-09-2018 11:37 PM by Dave Rutan | 3 comments »

Who doesn’t love clamps? I made these 5 light duty clamps so that I wouldn’t have to buy them. You can get the comercial variety for $16-$20 each plus shipping. Mine came in at about $5 each. I made them from 5/32” brass rod, 10-24 threaded rod, nuts, a 6mm t coupling for air lines, and some JB Weld to put it all together. The cleats involved are very very small, designed to simply bridge a crack which has already been glued together in order to add some strength to the mend...

Read this entry »


1 2 3 next »
29 entries


DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com