After disassembling, cleaning, greasing, oiling and reassembling, I scraped and wire brushed the exterior then applied a coat of light coat of oil and wiped off the excess. She purrs like a kitten now. Better image of the unusual grease zerk. It can actually be seen now that I’ve removed about 1/16” of crud. Voila! This thing spins like a top, they sure knew how to make ‘em back in the day. It’ll outlast me. The original intent was to degrease...
This came in today, a hand crank grinder, model 85, from Prairie Tool Co. Prairie du Chien, WI.; made sometime after 1920. Auction photo. My pics. These are all before I took it apart, cleaned, oiled/greased. I’ll get new pics after dinner. For some reason my youtube video is not showing up. FIXED! The threads were in rough shape. After buying a 7/16×20 nut and filing the threads a bit I finally realized they were left handed… another trip to the har...
Look what I just found… I’m going to buy it this morning..Amazing find.. A Pre-Rockwell (pre-1954) Beaver 3200 Table Saw with original stand and accessories. If you check my previous blog from yesterday.. you can see my other finds this week..Now all I lack is the Sander and 3800 Jointer and I will haveall of the Pre-Rockwell Beaver 3000 series toys..I will post each restoration picture as I complete them
I’ve caught BEAVER FEVER and decided to collect the Beaver 3000 seriesPower tools made in Guelph Ontario Canada.. pre-Rockwell This week I’ve bought 4 new items..1) Beaver Model 3100 Scrollsaw (I bought 2 of these)2) Beaver Model 3300 Bandsaw3) Beaver Model 3400 Wood Lathe I already own 2 Beaver Drill Presses.. ”HELP WANTED”I’m on a mission to find the Beaver Sander Model 3900... Very Rare.. If anyone knows of one that’s available̷...
I just picked one of these up at a garage sale for $2 not knowing what it was. (and got a lot of other great buys too!)It says C.S. OSBORNE & co. NEWARK, N.J. From what I’ve read it is indeed a leather cutter, aka draw gauge (http://www.csosborne.com/no51.5.htm). Mine has black japaning on the handle and the blade says C.S. OSBORNE & CO HARRISON N.J. The blade must have been a replacement. On the opposite side of the measurements is it stamped MADE IN U.S.A., it’s stamp...
Well I finally got around to getting some BLO (Boiled Linseed Oil). While I was waiting for the firehouse table stain to dry I grabbed a plastic container and squirted some BLO in it and placed the plane straight up and down. I must say I was highly impressed with how quickly it started to work. You could literally see the oil getting drawn up through the plane. In about 10 minutes it had pulled the oil up about an inch high (out of the 22” length of the plane). Post some more pics tomo...
I popped into the viewing for an auction of assorted paraphernalia last week and left a bid on a box of tools, as I couldn’t get back for the auction itself. A cast iron shooting plane had caught my eye in this mixed box. It’s a long way from being a Lie Nielsen or a Stanley, but it looked like one I could clean up and use. I ‘won’ the lot for GBP40 / $63 (surprise surprise, it went for my maximum bid!). However I’m happy with that even though there was a h...
I have already posted in forums on this topic but I had a suggestion that this may be a good idea to update my restoration status as I go. So I found this Rockwell/Delta 37-220 6” Jointer on CL the other day, asking $150, I drove 40 miles to look at it. Talked him down to $100 rather easily being it was missing the table out lock knob, the back door for the enclosed baseis also missing, as well as the beds being coated in rust, and the end of the cord has cardboard and electrical tap...
Picked these up at a nearby antique shop this weekend. The No. 5 Bailey is in pretty good shape. The No. 4 looks to have all the pieces, just needs some sweat & tears to make it pretty. The No. 5 Bailey: The No. 4:
I picked up this beauty for only $75 off Craigslist this weekend. Everything seems to be in good shape except for nicks on the blades about 4” out. It’s missing the blade guard for when you move the fence in, but other than that has everything else, as far as I can see. The power switch is attached with duct tape, but I will remedy that as well. Now for the tool p0rn!
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1823 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Shop stuff - 81 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1848 entries
- dbhost - 450 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 273 entries
- William - 258 entries
- robscastle - 256 entries
- shipwright - 255 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 227 entries
- bandit571 - 224 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries