Last month, I posted about my adventures in hand-cut veneer. I was pretty proud of myself for how well it turned out; I felt a bit like David fighting Goliath (Goliath being the giant hurdle of working without power tools) and cutting off his big fat head. I got several very positive comments both here and over on my personal blog. The comments made me feel like even though I am still brand new in the craft, that there are already some things I can do well. One comment in particular (from ...
So I don’t have access to store-bought veneer (no stores) and I don’t have a bandsaw, so it looks like I’m on my own for veneer. And since I needed it for this box lid, why not start now? I was feeling pretty confident going into this endeavor with my new ryoba. And it didn’t let me down. I didn’t measure or mark anything. A fellow LumberJock told me it should be 1/16” or thinner. So I just put the saw a smidge away from the edge of the board and tried t...
• My marquetry guidelines: There’s nothing to it,... really just get a nice and strait ruler, a sharp normal utility-knife, scotch-tape , patience and a small hard sandingblock with 150 and 180 grain and start cutting, thats how I learned it….. Guidelines: - I generally use MDF as a work-surface because it has no grain and therefore the knife won’t try to ‘wonder off’. - Never try to cut the veneer in one go, always make multiple lite strokes dependin...
I made a visit to my local furnatuer factory to day. I have a habit of looking in there dumpster for scrap hard wood. today i rescued something a little unexpected. I will post more pics of the veneer when i get it all sorted out. I dont even know the names of some of it.
I recently have been refinishing a small chair for my wife. The chair legs are solid walnut with the side panels a veneered walnut. (Which I learned after the fact… unfortunately) Before I just tossed some finish onto it I bought a piece of walnut veneer which we marked out into a grid and tested various colors of stain. After choosing a stain (no stain or dyes at all) I decided to try out the new foolproof finishing method they listed in FWW. It starts with shellac, then three coats...
Finished! Well it’s been a long journey and it did not end without one extra push. I finished installing the copper handles Monday by 11:30. There was a couple of scratches but I was certain I could buff them out. This is a skill that goes with the territory. I worked on the finish for the next six hours and I could not get the finish to blend. How to Remove a Scratch- After exhausting all other options this is what I resorted to today: Yes you are seeing it correctly...
Another Milestone I am pretty excited to share with you guys today’s progress. I got all of the handle pieces finished! Next I have some touch up on the doors and the final install. I am sure I will have a full day of technical sweating. I had to brush the pieces again on the wire wheel to brighten the finish. I then hung them from the ceiling and wiped them down thoroughly with acetone. This strips any oil from the surface. I sprayed them with an acrylic resin lacquer by Sh...
Getting Closer… Well guys I can hardly stand it! I am getting so close to done on this project and yet there is so much to do. I just want to go home and be with my wife and my dogs so bad. This job has been a nail biter every step of the way. The more I get done, the more work I have at risk if I should screw up. A mistake could cost the equivalent of a good used car – NO KIDDING. If you want to do high-end work, the risk is high too. That is one factor most don’t...
Exciting Progress.. I am making some great progress on my closet project. I currently have the copper rods in a machine shop where the parts are being fabricated. The clients and I had talked about changing the lights to better illuminate the fine work that I have produced. While the metal work is being done I decided to go ahead and install the new lights. WOW! Man-OH-Man! Does it ever look fantastic! Here is the closet with the old lights: Here is the closet with the n...
Success- I installed the big door today with a helping hand. The careful planning paid big dividends in an incredibly smooth and accurate install. Before doing the veneer work, I installed and fitted the doors. The doors were then taken to the shop and finished. The hinges were numbered and went back into the same locations. This meant that the final install required no additional adjustment. This is what I call jobsite theory, and it worked out this time. Getting a handle on it&...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1448 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1472 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 234 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- shipwright - 194 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 169 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries