This project is a fine example of the 80/20 concept. it takes 20% of the project time to complete 80% of it, and then, 80% of the project time to finish the last 20% of the project. As it gets to the details, things take longer to think through, plan out, cut…mill…glue… and finesse. this time it’s the leg vise Chop, and although not completely finished (still need to trim, round off, and apply BLO), it’s construction is done. I was originally planning to us...
I promise not to start posting every log I resaw (lest my blog becoming nothing but!), but I think folks interested in resawing, or copying the jig I just made might like to see some more samples. First, I forgot I got some shots of this (before giving it away as a gift to a coworker girl who wants to paint on it like a canvas), but here’s some of that first log of Ficus microcarpa, resawn to veneer-like thinness: It’s about 1/16”-3/32” thick on one end, ...
I had a friend ask me to help him out. I thought it was appropriate to post this on my blog as somewhat a tutorial. Any additional information would be great and I welcome any comments. Maybe you have some tricks up your sleeve I have yet to find. Veneer: problem with bubbling Bulk woodshop supplies
I picked up this dresser thanks to craigslist.com~~ free section. As you can see the previous owner dreiced to pain the whole thing PINK!!! The construction is solid and the dovetails are still tight, whick is always a plus. This picture is of the sides. You can see that there is an additional panel that I haven’t decided whether or not I’m gonna keep it. Any thoughts here would be greatly appreciated. As far as my plans I am going to take off the olf v...
I am finally working on this project again and ran into another problem. You can find out how I got this far from blogs I posted earlier. Last time I showed how I set up guides to cutting the inlay banding grooves. I eventually got all the inlay banding installed, but when I went to sand it flush with the veneer I found I could feel that the resulting surface was uneven. If I could feel it, imagine how bad it was going to look finished! (Keep in mind my hands are trained to feel irregula...
I have started a full sized chess board made out of veneer. The squares are made from Nigerian Satinwood, Curly Maple, and edged with Mozambique. I used a dyed black veneer on it’s side for banding between the squares, and a pre-made banding for the outer trim. The board was made with most likely the most common method of cutting strips, and glueing them into a stripe pattern. Then cutting equal strips the other direction and glueing into the checker pattern. I added very thi...
Let me make a disclaimer here. Some people requested a procedural series on this and I threw this together in 17 minutes! There are mistakes and this thing is ROUGH at best, but it will give you an idea on how to get started…Think of it as an outline, not an exhaustive tutorial…..Off we go…. You’ll need these items….Veneer, a craft knife with a new xacto blade (don’t use cheap off brands, the good ones are less frustrating and they don’t cost that ...
I just posted some images of my shop made vacuum system in the project gallery. It was suggested I start a blog on its construction – so here we go. I followed the online directions provided at JowWoodworker.com I bought 2 rebuilt Thomas pumps and the Mac valve, regulator, relay kit that Joe sells. FYI – I am in no way affiliated or associated with JoeWoodworker I’m just letting you know where I got the info to make my system. With the 2 pumps and the reservoir syst...
Hi Everyone; I just got the go ahead to build a 17 foot dining room table. This going to be challenging, as it has three pedestal bases, which are heavily carved, have some japanning and gold leaf, in addition to veneering. The top will be veneered, include some marquetry, have a couple leaves, which will be stored in table structure. I have to admit, I’m wondering what I got myself into this time, but being the president of the imaginary; ”If It Ain’t Impossible, W...
Well I’ve still been busy building additional cabinets. I’m working on the lower cabinets, because the upper cabinets need to match placement of the lower cabinets and I’m now working myself into a corner. That’s the sink corner. Old picture. It’s just to the right of the range. So what I’ve accomplished is building the cabinets to the left of the range. The range is being moved about 18” to the left so the cabinets that I’m building...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1463 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1487 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 236 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 198 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- stefang - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries