The first panel is the inside of the box so Patrick can start building the box Warming up, I feel the age, I think I need glasses. First picture on the tray Next, the inside of the lid, as they are in the same style, then shading and put those to together.
Here goes…. Traditional work benches (roubo for example) are out dated. I know, heresy. But it’s true The reason they made those crazy over sized legs and joints was because they didnt have sheetgoods back then and they needed to over build them to deal with the lateral and horizontal force they experienced. It is my opinion that pine 2×6’s and 3/4 ply MORE than cover any of the structural needs of a work bench. So the next big argument FOR traditional w...
As the series title says, this is a simple technique but when I discovered it it was a “Dohhh !!!” moment so I thought I might spare someone the pain. I like to use short grain borders, especially nice straight grains like cedar on picture frames, table tops and that sort of thing. I never had a problem getting good fits at the joints but often matching the grain was a bit of a challenge….. then one day this arrived in my (slow) brain and now it is a breeze even when the gra...
Well i finally got this piece completely finished, it took longer than expected but am glad its now done.Here are some photos of the completed piece. Hope you enjoy. click the link to take you to my website to see more photo’s http://joshhallfurniture.weebly.com/1/post/2013/06/st-giles-piece-photos.html
In this time lapse woodworking video I’m using a vacuum bag to laminate 2 panels together, to create a single 3/8’’ thick panel with Bubinga and Walnut on either side. I had the 2 different veneers already on a mdf substrate, so it was simply cutting to size applying glue and turning on the press. Hope you enjoy and thanks for watchingPaul
I’m working on a new top for the sliding hatch on my sailboat to replace the $136 piece of medium bronze acrylic that I sat on the other day…. Crack !!!.... This time I cold molded a curved panel from 3 layers of 1/8” cedar on opposing diagonals and decided to make it appear to be a solid mahogany hatch. This would be difficult to press with either my screw press or clamps and would require substantial jigging to vacuum bag so the obvious answer seemed to be to hammer it. Of...
Gosh Darn Everyone … that was pretty mean of me to leave you all in suspense like that!! But pressing the main Art Nouveau design onto the front of the wine box turned out absolutely fine … and better yet … I found those missing photos relating to the other 3 panels!! BUT ... before I get farther into this blog I’m wondering if anyone out there has had a window jump up in front of them while on this particular site stating: ”Warning … Visiting this site...
Here is the final product http://lumberjocks.com/projects/83379 All in all I learned a lot and most importantly had tons of fun. I felt my skill level just about doubled with each piece I laid down. There are A LOT of things I would have done differently – including buying a veneer saw a lot earlier on. I picked up on a good tip shipwright posted in the comments on my first blog. There is a link to an awesome video by Patrick Edwards. My next veneer project will be a lot mo...
Patricks's Blog #1: Recreating a process - Videos - Hand tools, veneer, picking machine and chevalet
Couple years ago Patrick Edwards from Antique Refinishers and the American School of French Marquetry whom I work with, was featured in 2 videos published by Graham Blackburn and bought by Popular woodworking. They have been kind enough to grant us access to those 2 videos. Here is what Patrick posted on his blog: Graham Blackburn VideosI remember when MTV first appeared and for the first time we could watch music videos on our TV. Then YouTube was developed and we could watch videos o...
I assembled the box walls using hot hide glue rub joints. since I had a seamless fit, no clamps were used. I was going to shoot some brads for additional strength but decided against it. After it sat for a day, I could not pull this box apart as it was. Short of using a spreader or mechanical advantage, these joints were going nowhere. I then measured and cut the MDF for the top and bottom. After cut, I veneered what was to be the inside. One with the walnut I sliced on the bandsaw and one...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1694 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 92 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 69 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1719 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 403 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 286 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 203 entries
- robscastle - 196 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 191 entries
- Dave Rutan - 191 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries