2 night ago, I was able to re-cut some of the letters in an effort to not have any broken pieces. The S and W continued to split on me, but I was able to get a nice M, A, and B so I will count it as a success. Last night was fairly productive. I was able to use my router with a 1/4” bit to cut a dado in the 4 sides of the frame to accept the plywood bottom. The 2 shorter sides had to be stopped dadoes so that they would be hidden when the frame is assembled. Once I cut the dad...
Here’s a couple more pics of the progress I’ve made. I glued some veneer around the edges to fill in the gap between the fancy stuff and the edge where the board will transition into the sides. Then it was onto a lot of sanding. What I hadn’t expected was the dust from the Rosewood to stain the maple while sanding. So I sanded it down as good as I could without going through the veneer and then used a cabinet scraper to finish it off. I think it came out really nice and I ca...
Here is the latest:The pieces are all made. On to the board. Birds Eye Maple and Rosewood.I got the veneer supplies ready to go and glued each piece to the 1/2” Birch Ply after cutting them to rough width, 2.25”. I used the full length of each 12” piece of veneer and had a gap in the middle, which was fine because I had enough to get the eight strips out of it. Each strip is 24 inches long and I just cut what I needed out of it and skipped over the gap. I then cleaned up the...
My mom approached me about doing something for my father for Father’s day. Only requirements were that it was to be something for their boat, and that it have the boat’s name on it. Other than that, I had complete creative freedom. I came up with the serving tray idea since they frequently prepare food down in the galley and have to bring it to the back deck for eating, and they currently just use some plastic serving tray. For the design, I decided that a prominent Compass ...
So Patrick did veneer the column.He first put the veneer on an kraft paper to hold the fiber ni place, we were not sure this thick veneer will like the bending. The article can be found there http://www.oldbrownglue.com/articles.html What you see here is were the seem was made, on the overlap, using a veneer saw then using the reversibility of the glue with an iron to finish the glueing. It cleans easily enough with water I have been careful enough to mark where the ring inse...
I has been a while and I thought I could give an update on this project. We are preparing the class room for june, which means cleaning the space we use between the classes as our marquetry and french polish workshop. I am finishing shading before to put the project on the side for those reason. I use the sand shading method and mostly dipping considering the number of pieces. I usually do one or 2 flowers at a time and dip a series of 2 or 3 pieces, sometime 4 which gives me ...
I finished my Chevalet build a while ago and now I have been getting to know the tool. After I finished tuning the Chevalet, I needed to find the first image I would cut. I tried to find something interesting but “simple” to start with. Seeing that this a French tool I chose a Fleur-de-lis. Over all I didn’t do too bad, not having any real instruction on using the tool. I did have an issue doing sharp/tight turns, so some of my turns/corners are a bit “round...
Well it’s been 2445 days since my last post on my buffet build. As I stated in the first posting my wife said that you are not doing anything until I get my kitchen. I got up to blog entry 5 before the kitchen got hot (You know what I mean). So then blogs 6 through 16 were on the kitchen cabinet build. That finished and so I started to clean up my shop and I had my son-in-law help me to move a table saw to the middle of the shop and move a portable workbench to the wall area where th...
I’ve been patiently waiting for the rest of my veneer to arrive from France so we can leave for AZ. Well it arrived today and we leave in the morning. As promised here are the photos. WARNING: A lot of photos of pretty veneer, you may want to pass on this one. The second package. Mocutaiba (Tiger Ear, Pao Santo) Douka (Makore) Espenille (West Indies Satinwood) Amourette (Snakewood) Gaboon Ebony Holly S...
In a previous blog I wrote about my visit to Les Fils de J. George in Paris and included a video of “la scie au bois montant” and my thoughts about the adventure. I have been patiently waiting since I arrived home for the arrival of my purchases. They were shipped in two packages and the second somehow managed to get itself three days behind the first. Every day I check the Colissimo website to track the packages and yesterday the word was (in French of course) that the first pack...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1463 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1487 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 236 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 198 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- stefang - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 176 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries