Here is what I am working on at present. Proving to be quite a challenge for me….which is good for me. The show timber is Kowhai |ˈkəʊwʌɪ, ˈkɔːfʌɪ| nouna tree of the pea family, which bears hanging clusters of yellow flowers. It is native to New Zealand and Chile and yields useful timber. Birds like the Tui are attracted to the yellow flowers.Anyway…...have a look and I hope you enjoy it. http://youtu.be/fEQPJGBQwJ8
After seeing a few of my other veneer works, I was approached to make a Red Sox wall hanging for someone to give as a gift. Seeing as how I am still looking for more experience on this marquetry kick I’m on, I decided to go for it. Now, I’m not a fan of Baseball period, so don’t let this logo make you think I’m a Red Sox fan. We decided on a rather large size of 24”x24” overall, which will be more beneficial to me for the small pieces that needed cutting...
There’s certainly nothing new about using mirrors to check veneer matches but this week, when I needed to do some matching I had an idea that some of you may want to try. I hate having glass around all the hard steel tools and I hate even more the idea of suffering seven years bad luck for breaking mirrors. (At my age that could be a large percentage of what I’ve got left…...) So here’s the plan. I decided to try acrylic mirror stock and make half cuts in it to elim...
2 night ago, I was able to re-cut some of the letters in an effort to not have any broken pieces. The S and W continued to split on me, but I was able to get a nice M, A, and B so I will count it as a success. Last night was fairly productive. I was able to use my router with a 1/4” bit to cut a dado in the 4 sides of the frame to accept the plywood bottom. The 2 shorter sides had to be stopped dadoes so that they would be hidden when the frame is assembled. Once I cut the dad...
Here’s a couple more pics of the progress I’ve made. I glued some veneer around the edges to fill in the gap between the fancy stuff and the edge where the board will transition into the sides. Then it was onto a lot of sanding. What I hadn’t expected was the dust from the Rosewood to stain the maple while sanding. So I sanded it down as good as I could without going through the veneer and then used a cabinet scraper to finish it off. I think it came out really nice and I ca...
Here is the latest:The pieces are all made. On to the board. Birds Eye Maple and Rosewood.I got the veneer supplies ready to go and glued each piece to the 1/2” Birch Ply after cutting them to rough width, 2.25”. I used the full length of each 12” piece of veneer and had a gap in the middle, which was fine because I had enough to get the eight strips out of it. Each strip is 24 inches long and I just cut what I needed out of it and skipped over the gap. I then cleaned up the...
My mom approached me about doing something for my father for Father’s day. Only requirements were that it was to be something for their boat, and that it have the boat’s name on it. Other than that, I had complete creative freedom. I came up with the serving tray idea since they frequently prepare food down in the galley and have to bring it to the back deck for eating, and they currently just use some plastic serving tray. For the design, I decided that a prominent Compass ...
So Patrick did veneer the column.He first put the veneer on an kraft paper to hold the fiber ni place, we were not sure this thick veneer will like the bending. The article can be found there http://www.oldbrownglue.com/articles.html What you see here is were the seem was made, on the overlap, using a veneer saw then using the reversibility of the glue with an iron to finish the glueing. It cleans easily enough with water I have been careful enough to mark where the ring inse...
I has been a while and I thought I could give an update on this project. We are preparing the class room for june, which means cleaning the space we use between the classes as our marquetry and french polish workshop. I am finishing shading before to put the project on the side for those reason. I use the sand shading method and mostly dipping considering the number of pieces. I usually do one or 2 flowers at a time and dip a series of 2 or 3 pieces, sometime 4 which gives me ...
I finished my Chevalet build a while ago and now I have been getting to know the tool. After I finished tuning the Chevalet, I needed to find the first image I would cut. I tried to find something interesting but “simple” to start with. Seeing that this a French tool I chose a Fleur-de-lis. Over all I didn’t do too bad, not having any real instruction on using the tool. I did have an issue doing sharp/tight turns, so some of my turns/corners are a bit “round...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1371 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1394 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 393 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 228 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 190 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 180 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 166 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- stefang - 158 entries