I picked up this ottoman off of Craigslist for 40 bucks. When I bought it my wife got a little pissed at me because she thought it was dirty and disgusting and the fabric was torn. She was kind of right. It was dirty. It was disgusting. The fabric was torn. But 40 bucks was cheap and so is new material for upholstery. So off to the fabric store we headed. Where we bought this nice piece for about ten bucks. Thanks to my knowledge on how to fold crisp hospital corners and ...
Confession – I finished the upholstery several weeks ago but have not gotten the blog updated until now. Oh well, everything else about this project has been on its own pace so there is no sense in changing now;) Here we go. The next step is to cut seat blanks. I used a sheet of good quality 3/8 plywood. I printed out a full size pattern. Cut it out on the bandsaw. Sanded it smooth. I then used the first cutout as a pattern for the other 5 seat blanks. ...
Foam ready to be glued to the seats with spray adhesive. Seats are cut to a pattern, allowing 1/8” gap around back legs. Edges are rounded over at the router table. Threaded inserts are located, and I used #8 machine bolts to attach the seats. Leather hides. Foam overhangs the seat by 1/2” in all directions. This helps to pad the side of the seat. Next wrap with high loft dacron, and compress the foam moderately(not shown). Staple the dacron (polyester batting)...
The nylon I’m using for the top came in, so now it’s just time to get it woven. I’m attaching the straps with upholstery staples. Once I’m finished, it will just be a few coats of Scotchgard to keep them nice and white. This image is just to show the idea. Sorry for the low quality image. When it’s finished and I add it as a project, I’ll be sure to include some nice images.
What a learning experience and I don’t think I screwed this one up too bad….anyways, this and it’s matching ottoman (still to do) will be my next project post & woodshopcowboy blog post. —WW
Wow…..is foam rubber expensive. We picked up the foam last week but have been waiting for the zippers to arrive (had to order online). The seat is 5” of high density foam wraped in 1” of low density foam and then batting. The back is just 4” of low density foam wrapped in batting. They feel pretty comfortable. The seat is a little stiff but should break in quickly with me on it. Hopefully Suzanne will get the cushions done this week. We bought two materials. Niether...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1197 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 66 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1219 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 332 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 294 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries