I made some decent progress on the unisaw. With the exception of the yoke/motor bracket assembly, all of the base components are disassembled and I have started stripping the old paint off the cabinet. Hopefully I’ll finish out this long weekend with most of the parts cleaned and primed for final paint. There is a tapered pin holding the yoke/motor bracket together that has thus far thwarted all reasonable attempts with PB blaster and heat. In reading various forums, it seems the ...
I started breaking down the pile parts that you could call a unisaw. Despite the heavy surface rust, the tops cleaned up pretty nice. ~1.5 hours total time to remove the top and extension wings run a wire wheel across them then hit with 100—>220 grit in the ROS and coat with some wax. I wasn’t sure if the tops were too far gone, but so far so good. I’ll probably run one more polish (fine sanding) and waxing before final install, but for now it’s one big item ...
Wanted to give a detailed breakdown of the weight of a 1960’s era Delta Unisaw Total weight ~320 pounds (145kg) Top – 60 lbs (27kg) Extension Wings 2 @ 22lbs ea = 44 lbs (20kg) Cabinet with basic components (motor mount, etc) 120 pounds (54kg) Motor 60 pounds (27kg) Cast Iron Base 30 lbs (14kg) These will easily fit in the back of a small suv. 4 bolts should allow you to remove the top with the extension wings; saving ~100 lbs (45kg); optional if you want to ...
Just about done with the tear down and re-assembly of this Unisaw. After last blog entry and before this one, I had to ask advice about belts & such. You can read it here in the forums: http://lumberjocks.com/topics/141986 What a great adventure this is. Rails & fence mostly assembled. Cast iron top miter slots have been aligned with the saw blade. But now comes the next phases: mobile platform and consideration of slapping my Bosch 4100 into the right wing extension and ong...
What I found that works for me: ROS & 3M pad for rough work. I swap to 320 then 600 wet/dry sandpaper for hand sanding with WD40 as lubrication. I will use denatured alcohol to clean off the top then wax later as I still have the miter slots to work on next time. I was smart :) Cut a 55 plastic gallon trash bag in 1/2 and laid ontop of my new work table.As it arrives in my garage: First general pass with my ROS & pad: After ROS & pad: After razor blade use to remove ...
Spent most of this Saturday tearing down everything that I could. Started off removing the top that had NO shims at all. Found white power everywhere from the cultured marble cutting that was done on this machine. Took time to air blast and brush out all that I could. ————————— Took a picture of the electrical switch for future hook ups since I have to remove the cord & motor. —————R...
Started this a few days ago, but haven’t had much opportunity to be in the shop to get it finished. I ran into an issue of my own making. I saw it coming, but thought “Ah maybe it won’t happen.” I used a piece of 3/4” AC for the bottom of the torsion box. It was a little warped but thought it would get pulled back when it was glued and screwed to the MDF that already had the center cells glued to it. Figured the 3/4” MDF with the grid was pretty rigi...
EDIT: It looks like wide images don’t fit well into the format here. Any tips on the recommended max image width to use and that sort of thing? 25% of the right side of most of my images seem to be chopped off, which I can fix by shrinking the images, but I feel like they would get pretty small in that case! Hello everyone. This is my first time posting something on here, after many years of lurking silently and absorbing a ton of knowledge from the good people on here. I figured tha...
The Ever Evolving Workshop #1: New Delta Unisaw with 52" Rip, Incra TS-LS and LEFT Side Router Table!
I wanted to show you guys and gals my new setup. I recently purchased a Delta 36-L352 to replace MY broke down POS grizzly G0715P. I say that about the grizzly because like many others MY G0715P had a .020 deflection in the back of the blade when I raised it up or down! There was no setting that saw blade parallel with the miter slot. Grizzly wouldn’t stand behind it and said the trunions were probably broke and that I had the ‘wrong saw’ for building cabinets or anyth...
My new (to me) Unisaw didn’t come with any safety equipment, and I’ve been having trouble finding a splitter that I like, so I decided that until I find one I really like, I’ll just make one and add it to my new ZC throat plate. I laid in bed last night racking my brain over what material I might have that would be easy to work with and I remembered some old shelf brackets I wasn’t using. I popped the end cap off, cut the dog legs off, did most of the filing and shapin...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries