I found some great ideas for building storage beds for our two boys on the internet, at Ana White Homemaker. After studying these plans for a bit, I decided I wanted to make some changes, mainly to upgrade the joinery methods and make the base cabinets deeper, so they met in the middle under the box spring. So, here’s what I came up with after learning google sketchup, and going through a few design revisions. This bed is basically made up of several box cabinets that will be bolted ...
Legs will be just under 4” square, three boards per. When you stack beds, you want the legs to look like they can take the heat.Glue up process:
I don’t normally do prototypes, but when your doing several beds you may want to work out the bugs before you get into mass producing the parts. It’s a prototype and a selling item. I haven’t really sold the job yet. I’m pretty sure I will and if I don’t, I’ll leave this on on the showroom floor as an example of my work. I always need more of my stuff in our showroom. This one will probably stay on the showroom floor. This is finished with a standard ...
A break from the normal murphy bed and switching gears to a twin four poster bed. I’m posting out of order, but here is the video of the post glue up. Video streaming by UstreamThe post will be 2 1/2” x 2 1/2” with a small chamfer on the edges to make an octagon look. I’m going to stop the chamfer on the inside where the post attach. This will allow my bracket room to mount. For more building pictures see my Current Projects link at wwbeds.com o...
What’s happening in the shop for July 15, 2010. Working on the finish for a twin built in murphy bed for a local designer. This is a twin size that has not a lot of room for error. It will be folding out of a closet door with just a fraction of an inch of clearence. If the back wall is slightly out the wrong direction I may have a problem. The finish will be the same color as the walls. I’ll have it mixed up in a lacquer because that is what is easier for me. I’ll be...
What’s happening in the shop for February . Today we’ll be spraying Harvey’s locker murphy bed, desk, and toybox. I’ll be finishing the build on Jordan’s twin murphy bed. For missed video and building pictures see my Current Projects link at wwbeds.com or poggyskids.com. Watch us live:<div></div>
I completed the build on the skateboard and sent the pictures to the customer. I wasn’t exactly what that were wanting. They wanted more of a half circle at the ends of the board. I originally did a smaller tail on the bed because of the room needed. That would make the bed almost 10’. Anyway, I planned on building two anyway. I even ordered 8 wheels, so I painted up the first one for our showroom and started on their new one. Here are some pictures of the first one: ...
I now have the singles finish up. You can see the final post at http://lumberjocks.com/projects/18514 . Here is the drawing and finished product: The only thing I changed was the two doors into just one big one. The two smaller doors looked too small for the size of the opening. Now I will be working on the two styles of bunk beds. Before I left two weeks ago, I made the prototypes and cut out the parts. While I was gone. I had my crew prep and sand everything for me. Hopeful...
I am back from camp and ready to see what was completed. I left with most parts cut out and at least on example of the part that were to be built. I save a copy of my notes online so that I could give instructions from camp if needed. Click on the pictures to see all them. (Good luck with deciphering them). Did have as much done as I would have liked to but that is what I expected. Nothing got totally completed, there was a lot of skipping around. Here are some pictures: For mor...
Like I said in the last blog, I don’t usually make prototypes. But since there will be so many, I wanted to work out as many unforeseen details as I could. I did finish up the first one of the three styles. This is the largest group with 10 beds. After building this first one, I only found a couple thing I wanted to change. First I inset the drawers under the platform about 2” on each side. After getting it set up, I feel it would look better with only a ¾” inset of the drawers. Thi...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 106 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 419 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries