Also at: http://blogspud.blogspot.com/2012/07/pallet-board-corner-entertainment.html Hey Everybody! Okay, so after the completion of my last project with pallet wood, I have turned my attention to an issue, my current embarrassment of an entertainment center. To be fair to myself, this was one of my first projects, it had doors, had a coat hanger pole, and was actually a dresser. But since we have moved, it is causing a bit of a clutter and is incredibly imposing. So what bett...
If anyone has a suggestion or idea, please feel free to add a comment. As I said I’m sort of making it up as I go along. If took me a while to decide on how to secure the face frame. As I mentioned before I received this idea from re-assembling my parents TV stand. Once thing I was surprise to notice when I disassembled theirs, was how little glue was used. I believe their TV cabinet was from Ethan Allen. I contemplated using a tenon joint, and then I settled on dowels. After thin...
I’ve promised the wife a new TV stand/cabinet ever since we purchased our new HD TV over a year ago. Currently, we’re using one of my coffee tables. Just as I was about to embark on something else, I was told this project was next! I have had a concept in mind for the cabinet, ever since I completed my curved panel clock, shown here: I liked the look of the curved panel, so I wanted to incorporate it into the design of this TV cabinet, which is to be a stand, plus shelvi...
I decided to use a basic half lap joint on this project. I’ve never really used it before, so I wasn’t sure what the best way to accomplish it. I don’t have a dado stack, yet, and frankly I don’t trust the accuracy of my junk Skil router and homemade router table. So, I decided to build a sort of tenon jig to help me cut the joint. This took longer than I wanted to due to several errors on my part. But, all things considered, it didn’t turn out too...
Bottom MoldingI cut a long piece of the African mahogany 3” wide. I original use ¾” but didn’t like the way it looked so I planed it down to 5/8”. I ran it through my router table using a Freud Roman Ogee router bit # 38362. I first cut the front piece. I used the same angles that I used on the main case. After cutting the side angles, the pieces didn’t fit based on the angles I cut them. When I glued the sides of the main case together the angles came out different from wha...
Here is the next project, an entertainment center that is reminiscent of a Stickley sideboard. The central slat detail gives a nod to Kevin Rodel. The backsplash features my “wedge and strap” detail, also found on my A&C dressers. ----- Leg blanks are laminated from 3/4” stock. Next I add 1/4” thick veneers on two sides. Even though the finished veneers will only be 3/32” thick, I leave them 1/4” thick for now. I find that 1/4” stri...
After mounting the slides, I used carpet tape to temporarily attach the drawer fronts. Slides are Centerline 757’s, and mounting is the same as my dresser project here… http://lumberjocks.com/pintodeluxe/blog/34281 -----Drawer fronts installed with 4 screws each.-----Since the drawers are graduated from 6” to 9”, I made a full sized pattern for the largest drawer. Then I marked the size of the other drawers, and used those lines to lay out all drawer pull holes o...
This is where I am at currently on the entertainment center.-----There is an interesting central splat detail, inspired by Kevin Rodel’s arts and crafts dining chair. -----It is a series of slats glued together with the thin parts let into grooves. I found it was best to cut the tenons before creating the stopped grooves. With my first trial I cut the grooves first, and experienced some chipout cutting the tenons. -----The splat has some nice shadow lines, and forms three small squ...
TV Stand #8: Raised Panel Doors, Soss Invisible Hinges, Table Top Edge, Getting Ready for the Finish
Yes it’s been over a month since I’ve posted an update but I’m still working on my TV stand. Raised Panel Doors Since my last blog, I finished the raised panel portion of my doors. This is the first time I’m doing a raised panel and I was having a problem getting the panel flush with the frame. To correct this problem I disassembled the panel router bit and raised the back cutter. Now I would be able to remove more of the back. Now the panel fit exactl...
Arts and Crafts Entertainment Center / Sideboard #2: Pattern Routing Curves, Mortiser Mod, Side Panel Glueup
For those who are just joining, this is what I am building.-----Time to pattern rout the lower side rails with an arched shape. -----I made an oversized base with toggle clamps to hold my workpiece in place. After bandsawing the rail to rough shape I clamp it in the jig, and zip it to shape. -----Arch complete. ------I stained the front side of the floating panels, and built the side assemblies. I installed some 1/4” foam weatherstripping in the groove to help center the floating p...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1792 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 115 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1817 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 241 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries