Here is the next project, an entertainment center that is reminiscent of a Stickley sideboard. The central slat detail gives a nod to Kevin Rodel. The backsplash features my “wedge and strap” detail, also found on my A&C dressers. ----- Leg blanks are laminated from 3/4” stock. Next I add 1/4” thick veneers on two sides. Even though the finished veneers will only be 3/32” thick, I leave them 1/4” thick for now. I find that 1/4” stri...
Finishing and finishingI have completed my TV stand and it came out better than I hoped. I learned a lot from this project and can’t wait to make my next piece of interior furniture. FinishingI wish I could say everything went off smoothly but I had a few problems finishing the project. One major problem was splotching, where one area stains dark than another. I also had a hard time learning to fill the wood. I tested about 12-15 different stains and dyes until I came across two of the...
After mounting the slides, I used carpet tape to temporarily attach the drawer fronts. Slides are Centerline 757’s, and mounting is the same as my dresser project here… http://lumberjocks.com/pintodeluxe/blog/34281 -----Drawer fronts installed with 4 screws each.-----Since the drawers are graduated from 6” to 9”, I made a full sized pattern for the largest drawer. Then I marked the size of the other drawers, and used those lines to lay out all drawer pull holes o...
TV Stand #8: Raised Panel Doors, Soss Invisible Hinges, Table Top Edge, Getting Ready for the Finish
Yes it’s been over a month since I’ve posted an update but I’m still working on my TV stand. Raised Panel Doors Since my last blog, I finished the raised panel portion of my doors. This is the first time I’m doing a raised panel and I was having a problem getting the panel flush with the frame. To correct this problem I disassembled the panel router bit and raised the back cutter. Now I would be able to remove more of the back. Now the panel fit exactl...
I’ve promised the wife a new TV stand/cabinet ever since we purchased our new HD TV over a year ago. Currently, we’re using one of my coffee tables. Just as I was about to embark on something else, I was told this project was next! I have had a concept in mind for the cabinet, ever since I completed my curved panel clock, shown here: I liked the look of the curved panel, so I wanted to incorporate it into the design of this TV cabinet, which is to be a stand, plus shelvi...
This is where I am at currently on the entertainment center.-----There is an interesting central splat detail, inspired by Kevin Rodel’s arts and crafts dining chair. -----It is a series of slats glued together with the thin parts let into grooves. I found it was best to cut the tenons before creating the stopped grooves. With my first trial I cut the grooves first, and experienced some chipout cutting the tenons. -----The splat has some nice shadow lines, and forms three small squ...
In planning to glue to corners I cut some angle blocks to assist in holding the clamps in place. I also used a special clamp for angles that I highly recommend if you have to glue up unusual corners or large miter corners. I then tried to figure out how to cut the bottom and shelf. I decided to use my circular saw. Before having a table saw, I used a circular saw to cut the wood so I have a good blade for plywood. I also own a forrest blade but I didn’t use it for this, d...
Also at: http://blogspud.blogspot.com/2012/07/pallet-board-corner-entertainment.html Hey Everybody! Okay, so after the completion of my last project with pallet wood, I have turned my attention to an issue, my current embarrassment of an entertainment center. To be fair to myself, this was one of my first projects, it had doors, had a coat hanger pole, and was actually a dresser. But since we have moved, it is causing a bit of a clutter and is incredibly imposing. So what bett...
Arts and Crafts Entertainment Center / Sideboard #2: Pattern Routing Curves, Mortiser Mod, Side Panel Glueup
For those who are just joining, this is what I am building.-----Time to pattern rout the lower side rails with an arched shape. -----I made an oversized base with toggle clamps to hold my workpiece in place. After bandsawing the rail to rough shape I clamp it in the jig, and zip it to shape. -----Arch complete. ------I stained the front side of the floating panels, and built the side assemblies. I installed some 1/4” foam weatherstripping in the groove to help center the floating p...
I’m ready to add the bottom. As member GregD suggested I’m going to use Kreg pocket holes to secure the bottom and shelf in place. I cut some support boards at a height that would allow me to rest the bottom on them and then screw the bottom in place. I turned the work piece upside down to make it easier to screw it in place. Once the bottom was secured, I cut the support boards down to the height I needed for them to support the shelf. I then installed the shelf...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1507 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1531 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 252 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 186 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 165 entries