HeatWell I haven’t written an update because it’s been too hot in my garage in So. Ca. I have a detached, 1938, garage without air condition. The heat never bothered me but as I get older it’s been getting to me. ProblemsAnother problem I’m having is with the top of the TV stand. I mentioned before that I purchased 14’ of 6/4 African mahogany rough wood. I cut the wood into 3 pieces. (4’, 4’, and 6’) Because it’s been about 100 degrees in my garage, I decided to take it to my local lumb...
Here is the next project, an entertainment center that is reminiscent of a Stickley sideboard. The central slat detail gives a nod to Kevin Rodel. The backsplash features my “wedge and strap” detail, also found on my A&C dressers. ----- Leg blanks are laminated from 3/4” stock. Next I add 1/4” thick veneers on two sides. Even though the finished veneers will only be 3/32” thick, I leave them 1/4” thick for now. I find that 1/4” stri...
This is where I am at currently on the entertainment center.-----There is an interesting central splat detail, inspired by Kevin Rodel’s arts and crafts dining chair. -----It is a series of slats glued together with the thin parts let into grooves. I found it was best to cut the tenons before creating the stopped grooves. With my first trial I cut the grooves first, and experienced some chipout cutting the tenons. -----The splat has some nice shadow lines, and forms three small squ...
Arts and Crafts Entertainment Center / Sideboard #5: Wedge and Strap Backsplash, Trimming Top, and Staining
So this is where we left off with things last time…-----The entertainment center features a wedge and strap backsplash to match my 6 drawer dressers http://lumberjocks.com/projects/79208 -----Basically it is a shallow dado that receives a walnut inlay. I cut tapers on the backsplash first, then glued the wedges back on. I carpet-taped a strip of plywood to the backsplash to give me a straight reference edge to cut the dados (note to self: rip plywood strip before installing dado bla...
In planning to glue to corners I cut some angle blocks to assist in holding the clamps in place. I also used a special clamp for angles that I highly recommend if you have to glue up unusual corners or large miter corners. I then tried to figure out how to cut the bottom and shelf. I decided to use my circular saw. Before having a table saw, I used a circular saw to cut the wood so I have a good blade for plywood. I also own a forrest blade but I didn’t use it for this, d...
Bottom MoldingI cut a long piece of the African mahogany 3” wide. I original use ¾” but didn’t like the way it looked so I planed it down to 5/8”. I ran it through my router table using a Freud Roman Ogee router bit # 38362. I first cut the front piece. I used the same angles that I used on the main case. After cutting the side angles, the pieces didn’t fit based on the angles I cut them. When I glued the sides of the main case together the angles came out different from wha...
I’ve promised the wife a new TV stand/cabinet ever since we purchased our new HD TV over a year ago. Currently, we’re using one of my coffee tables. Just as I was about to embark on something else, I was told this project was next! I have had a concept in mind for the cabinet, ever since I completed my curved panel clock, shown here: I liked the look of the curved panel, so I wanted to incorporate it into the design of this TV cabinet, which is to be a stand, plus shelvi...
If anyone has a suggestion or idea, please feel free to add a comment. As I said I’m sort of making it up as I go along. If took me a while to decide on how to secure the face frame. As I mentioned before I received this idea from re-assembling my parents TV stand. Once thing I was surprise to notice when I disassembled theirs, was how little glue was used. I believe their TV cabinet was from Ethan Allen. I contemplated using a tenon joint, and then I settled on dowels. After thin...
Finishing and finishingI have completed my TV stand and it came out better than I hoped. I learned a lot from this project and can’t wait to make my next piece of interior furniture. FinishingI wish I could say everything went off smoothly but I had a few problems finishing the project. One major problem was splotching, where one area stains dark than another. I also had a hard time learning to fill the wood. I tested about 12-15 different stains and dyes until I came across two of the...
I’m ready to add the bottom. As member GregD suggested I’m going to use Kreg pocket holes to secure the bottom and shelf in place. I cut some support boards at a height that would allow me to rest the bottom on them and then screw the bottom in place. I turned the work piece upside down to make it easier to screw it in place. Once the bottom was secured, I cut the support boards down to the height I needed for them to support the shelf. I then installed the shelf...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1506 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1530 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 251 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 186 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 165 entries