So far this project has been an excellent learning process, when it came time to finishing that was no exception. The client was looking for a “super glossy” look to the box. I decided to use a tung oil from Lee valley. The process was very simple. The lid to the humidor has some very fine figure to it so I wont up sanding it to 800 grit to remove all sanding marks. The rest of the box I sanded to 500 grit. I applied a thick first coat and let it soak in for about 10 minu...
Here it comes at last! The final steps in this project. With the shaping out of the way, I decided to work on the finish next. I figured it would be easier to pre-finish the individual pieces before gluing them together. I have to apologize because I don’t have any photos of the finishing process, or of the individual finished pieces, but the finished project will be shown below. Because Wenge is a fairly “texturous” wood, I wanted to preserve its feel, rather than encase...
Continued testing finishes for curly cherry started with varnishes and shellacs. Having read much about how tung oil brings out chatoyance, I applied for comparison one coat each: (a) 2 lbs. cut ruby shellac, (b) pure tung oil from Woodcraft, and ( c) Bulls Eye seal coat from Zinsser. The shellacs gave good chatoyance without much blotching. The oil initially gave quite a depth, chatoyance and color, more than the shellacs. However, some spots became quite dark, so the sample (b) a...
Ok, ready for cutting the top off this box. Fingers crossed… The maple sides have some figure in them, so I have been looking for a finish to maximize the shift in luster depending on the angle of view, a.k.a. 3D effect, a.k.a. chatoyancy. Just wanted to share my findings from the internet here… It turned out that maximizing chatoyancy and making the figure more visible are two different things achieved by different means. I guess, the former is sometimes also cal...
Some friends visited a few days ago, and commented upon some of my work (it’s hard to avoid – the house is full of it), and, in particular, the finishes on some of my more recent work.There are many many things in the sphere of woodworking at which I am not very good, but, after several years, I can now reliably get a really nice, oil-only, finish on my pieces. It’s silky smooth, very tactile, and has a soft satin sheen.My method differs from anything I’ve seen or read...
I wrapped up finishing and posted the completed project: The photos below can be viewed larger size in the flickr set. === This project began with a plan to make use of a 1” slab of maple I got my hands on recently. The figure of the wood, the shape of the edge and the large size made it highly suitable for a table top. After sketching out some ideas on paper, I put them into sketchup for comparison. Given the natural edge of the top plank, the designs with straight lines and rectil...
I am considering offering a new special for those who would like to take my Maloof-style rocking chair class. After talking to a number of woodworkers, I have come up with a “class bundle” offer for a week of instruction on rocking chair science. If at least six (6) woodworkers sign up for any week-long (5 days) “class bundle,” then, by a drawing, one of those woodworkers will receive that “class bundle” for FREE. Included in the five-day (Monday t...
The box has been plugged, sanded and we took a Dremel to the punky wood. I think all the holes are ready to be finished and so we move on to the tung oil. I usually have help with this part from my wife and my youngest daughter. They love to see the wood come alive as the finish is applied. This box has been pronounced “boxalicious” by my daughter who also says “it’s so pretty it’s like a wedding dress.” So here are a few pictures...This shows the setu...
Art Born Out of Chaos ….art is about the chaotic balance,that one blends with harmony,to create an expression of semblance,that often plays host to our senses….—-by flp ———————————————————————————————————————————̵...
Barn Cat in Training and More…. I might as well introduce a new member in my barn and tell you some of her history. To start out with it might also help if I was to explain that the barn you are seeing here is an English Barn dated from around 1780. My wife and I started gutting this barn back in 2000 and then while I was on the road most of that winter, she along with a crew took the barn down in about a weeks time after numbering all the bents. Next after taking a year to get o...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1792 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 115 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1817 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 241 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries