I wanted to tell a little more about my experience with crafting my own crown molding, and share a couple of lessons I learned along the way. Previously, I showed how I formed and sanded the profile on the last blog of this topic, and so today I thought I would complete the task by showing the installation of the molding, and a few “gems” I discovered along the way. First off, I made very sure that my cabinet that I am hanging this crown molding on was as perfectly square on...
Okay, here’s one of the most useful jigs that I’ve ever made. And if I lost i tomorrow, I could build another in about fifteen minutes. I’m not going to include any dimensions as you should make one to fit your own situation. I made this up obviously with scraps. If I made it out of anything else, it wouldn’t work any better. When I build things there’s always some small parts in need of a little fitting. Viola! I frequently use this #7 r...
...alas, only on local cable, but a good start.. Our local cable television company has a local interest tv ‘magazine’ show. They shot a video clip of the Kerry-All Pouches Friday at a local building supply dealer. This dealer has been instrumental in helping me launch the various versions of the Pouch, including the original Plywood Pouch, the long and narrow Trim Pouch as well as an 8-foot Drywall Pouch, or cover and a 12-foot model. They’ve tried prototypes and given m...
The last two months or so, the shop has been a mess. Partly this is due to not having a place to put all of my lumber but the bigger part is I have had no place to put the larger equipment. Recently in one of the woodworking magazines they built a shop cabinet that housed the same type equipment I was trying to organize. They built it with spruce and peg board. I had some left over melamine (melamine that just happened to match all of the other cabinets in the shop) so I went to work with a d...
Disclaimer: This blog follows my Magen David Board that is already finished and posted here Once everything was glued up into a single slab, it was time to plane it flat and parallel. one of the strips I jointed happen (don’t ask me how…lol) to be jointed off square, throwing the last 4-5 strips in the glueup off flat (mostly flat). I was tired at this point, and just figured I’m not going to rejoint it, but will pay the price and plane it all down at the cost of having a...
The PlanSave the plaster, the upper cabinets, all millwork, and the windows (is that millwork). The douglas fir cabinets had been refaced in the long past. Could it be removed? Before The kitchen before… Upper cabinets are original with refacing and paint.. The evil laundry porch. Close up on laundry sink. Nice huh? Under the sink. That is my poor man’s possum proofin. My first homemade shelf. Good times. If I had a hammer… Demolition Time!!!! I demo ...
Almost nowBefore I get to the current work on the kitchen, let’s play catch-up.: After a successful but expensive run on the living room and dining room we decided to keep on with the back of the house. We had two rooms to strip/stain and replaster/paint. Plus the L-shaped hallway. I will let the pictures do the talking. DenThe den before (why did I paint it like this?).. During plaster work and with windows stripped. Turns out the casements had been replaced. They look lik...
Okay, added a wall to define my shop space for heating, etc. and included a pair of pocket doors. They’re framed but need trim. Enter some spaulted (stained, really), flat-sawn sycamore. Dressed the edges and faces, needed something to dress them up a bit. How about a bead? First the flat stock, ready to go. With the #45 set up and ready, an early key is to take multiple, shallow passes. Here’s a scratch pass: Start on the end of the piece, taking multiple passes ...
A small step for this tool cart, a huge step for woodworking… or not really, but a small step nonetheless. I was able to dry fit the mitered carcass, and trim the horizontal and vertical drawer dividers to make them fit while keeping everything square (or as close to square as I could manage): had to leave it like that for the rest of the evening, but was able to sneak back to it for a short while longer and cut a 1/8” slot on all the fronts and backs of all the parts...
Now that the construction of the carcass was finished (as far as I can think) it was time to trim off the excess of the face frames (front was already done, and just had to do the back). I trimmed off the back as I got home from work. I used a block plane for that and brought the carcass into the house to continue working on it later at night when I get more time: can still see the burn marks from the TS. Nothing that a good shave/scrape wouldn’t clean right off: Later at ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 106 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 419 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries