OK we are out of the clamps with our project and we level the legs. Next we do a little more finish sanding and spray our finish. *Note one thing I forgot on the video I buy adhesive backed felt and put on the bottom of the feet to ad that “Pro” touch to it. Enjoy and if any would not mind doing me favor, how about leaving some reviews on iTunes for me. Thanks In Advance, Huck
For our best pieces, we use sawn veneer. It is usually 10 time as expensive as sliced, but it is a better quality product. When the veneer is sliced, it is often steamed or heated and the shearing of the knife damage the structure of the wood. When the veneer is sawn, it is just like solid wood, just thinner. Patrick Edwards did a good blog entry on sawn veneer with a video of one of the last veneer sawing comapny, near Paris, Georges et Fils. To read the article it is here. An...
Apparently some of the initial photos of the gaming table did not get published. I have made some adjustments and now, hopefully, these will work. I’ll explain each with less detail. The first photo below is of the table opened and the second photo is of the top closed. Again, this gaming table is exhibited in a German museum Schloss Anholt. I wanted to re-create it; so I am using the same materials, pewter, brass and faux tortoiseshell. Of course the original is not faux tortoi...
My Delta table saw’s motor died a few years ago. I found that I would have to cop up $200 for a new motor for a five year old $350 (brand new) saw. Yowza! Of course I still have it. I thought, maybe, some day I’ll find the motor used or cheaper. Never happened. I been considering scrapping it for metal until a week ago when that dim light bulb in my head came to life… This is my router table. I’ve had this router table well over 10 years. I got the plans out ...
Recently I’ve been making some changes to my shop. During the process I decided to put some smaller casters on my Kennedy roll-around tool box. I was down to the last caster and was having some trouble holding one of the bolts in place. Every time I put the bolt in place, and then tried to put the caster on, it would fall out on the inside of the box. Take a look at what I mean. Here is what I’m trying to accomplish Here is what keeps happening All I want to do keep that ...
I have to give credit to my wife for this tip. We were at a local big box store looking at wood for cabinetry. We were curious as to how different wood’s grains were going to look after a finish was applied. We had seen before were people would use a little water to get an idea. Of course we didn’t have any water readily available to us and I don’t think they would appreciate use getting water on their products. That’s when my wife had the brilliant idea of using a sma...
So i finally got some work done today on my box. first i started by making the bottom. because i am using thick material for the sides i wanted to add some rigidness to the box so it is a 1/2” thick poplar bottom and i did the bevel with a hand plane. rather than set up machinery or anything. then it was time to focus on the dividers. these are hard because they are very thin stock and to get them good they have to fit right. so what i did was cut them and did almost what resembl...
I needed a steam box to steam bend a walnut handle. The last time I, steam bent a handle I just threw it in a contractor bag and pumped it full of steam. This worked OK but by the end of the steaming process the bag had started to melt and it turned into a bit of a mess. This time I decided to build a proper steam box, but lost interest because I hate shop projects, I’d rather be building furniture. Instead, I built a down and dirty steam box. If you would like the deep down detai...
When I was fixing the knot blowouts in yesterday’s project, “Strip veneering kitchen cabinet doors”, I wanted to finish quickly and I made the classic mistake of hurrying. I know better, “fast” should be way lower on a woodworker’s list than quality, and patience. My impatience resulted in these two ugly basketballs. I wanted to keep the knots, but I did two things wrong. I planed where I should have sanded and I did not keep the knots. When I went i...
After a few questions about my homemade wax and finishing, i share now the recipe wich works very well for me. 200g beewax ( it´s a little less than a half pound)200g paraffine200g carnauba1 l turpentine ( thats about a little moore than 1 quart)asphalt paint, pigments ( for dyeing ) First melt all 3 wax sorts in a water bath. Be carefull that it will not get to hot and burn and you will have crumbsin your finish. Stir everything very well.l Take it from the stove and let it cool down...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1822 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Shop stuff - 80 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1847 entries
- dbhost - 449 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 324 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 272 entries
- William - 258 entries
- robscastle - 256 entries
- shipwright - 255 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 226 entries
- bandit571 - 223 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries