Recently I’ve been making some changes to my shop. During the process I decided to put some smaller casters on my Kennedy roll-around tool box. I was down to the last caster and was having some trouble holding one of the bolts in place. Every time I put the bolt in place, and then tried to put the caster on, it would fall out on the inside of the box. Take a look at what I mean. Here is what I’m trying to accomplish Here is what keeps happening All I want to do keep that ...
I have to give credit to my wife for this tip. We were at a local big box store looking at wood for cabinetry. We were curious as to how different wood’s grains were going to look after a finish was applied. We had seen before were people would use a little water to get an idea. Of course we didn’t have any water readily available to us and I don’t think they would appreciate use getting water on their products. That’s when my wife had the brilliant idea of using a sma...
So i finally got some work done today on my box. first i started by making the bottom. because i am using thick material for the sides i wanted to add some rigidness to the box so it is a 1/2” thick poplar bottom and i did the bevel with a hand plane. rather than set up machinery or anything. then it was time to focus on the dividers. these are hard because they are very thin stock and to get them good they have to fit right. so what i did was cut them and did almost what resembl...
When I was fixing the knot blowouts in yesterday’s project, “Strip veneering kitchen cabinet doors”, I wanted to finish quickly and I made the classic mistake of hurrying. I know better, “fast” should be way lower on a woodworker’s list than quality, and patience. My impatience resulted in these two ugly basketballs. I wanted to keep the knots, but I did two things wrong. I planed where I should have sanded and I did not keep the knots. When I went i...
After a few questions about my homemade wax and finishing, i share now the recipe wich works very well for me. 200g beewax ( it´s a little less than a half pound)200g paraffine200g carnauba1 l turpentine ( thats about a little moore than 1 quart)asphalt paint, pigments ( for dyeing ) First melt all 3 wax sorts in a water bath. Be carefull that it will not get to hot and burn and you will have crumbsin your finish. Stir everything very well.l Take it from the stove and let it cool down...
Version 1.2a At this point I decided to get more “radical” in my design approach. I removed two of the cross rails (found out through experience that I didn’t need them anyway). Then I took the corner poles out of the flanges and put a “sleeve” on the side of my table for the corner poles to slide into (see photo below). Electrical conduit clamps work great for attaching the sleeves. This design also allowed me to adjust the height of the router sled in...
hey everyone, welcome to this episode of the teen age woodworker. in this episode i talk a bit about coloring in sapwood (duh) which is a great skill to have especially in todays world where sapwood is not considered a defect in most woods. i also did a write up on the whole thing over at my new blog with Aaron Molley. also if you want to order Charles Neil’s finishing A – Z Beyond the books dvds or any other of his dvds you can do that on his web site. they are great videos ...
Wall space is a premium in my shop because of the multiple uses of the space. When I started thinking about making clamps I knew I would need a place to store them. I devised a way to put a clamp rack in front of my scrap stick area and hinge it so that it could be pulled up to the ceiling when I didn’t need to access my longer clamps. It’s raised with two pullies with the rope held taught with an old window sash weight. A clip hooks onto a screw eye at the bottom of the rack...
A while back, when my shop was in its unusable state, my lovely bride decided to take a sack of potting soil she had been using, and since she couldn’t find storage space on the shelving unit for it, she decided to leave it on the outfeed bed of my jointer, which quickly turned into rust. I had to clean this off… I did a quick write up on it for my blog this weekend, the process is pretty simple. I don’t have the bed exactly where I want it yet, but it is close enough for...
So to start with. The miter slots on my saw were shallow from routing the table top flat. I finally decided last night to setup my incra 1000hd for this saw, but in order to do that, I needed to rout the right slot deeper. Ill get around to the left eventually, but the right slot will pretty much be the incra’s new home. I used the same 10$ ryobi router and HF router speed control I used on the top, and just used the fence as a guide. I started with a 1/4” straight bit an...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries