This is the box after two more days exposure, for six days total. It isn’t much darker than it was after four days, so I’m going to call the experiment over. I’d like for it to be a bit darker, but at least I got the contrast I wanted with the basswood lid and pins. Even the basswood took on a bit warmer shade. This is why I put the lid in to fume with the sides. I thought that the pins might darken, and I wanted them to match the lid. Here is the box before fuming:One...
The box hasn’t darkened appreciably over the past two days, so I put in fresh ammonia in a slightly bigger saucer to give it more surface area. Here’s a funny thing. It felt like the box was damp to the touch. The lid just lies in a rabbet in the sides, and the wood had swollen so much that it was jammed in tight! It really has been picking up moisture. I don’t know if this is due to the fuming reaction, or if it is just a consequence of having the box suspended ove...
Prestige design: CHECK OUT OUR FACEBOOK AND SHOW SOME Support… www.facebook.com/prestigedesign I always get a question before someone puts an order in “Can you really design what is in my mind?” My answer is YES. Then i prove it….I ask them key questions to help me understand what they want. Am i always right….NObut if i am not correct on what they want, they change their mind to the design i made The next question before i build it “how did ...
I have some small boxes with oak sides that I made, and I wanted to fume them to contrast with the basswood lids and pins. I placed a box over a saucer with some regular household ammonia. I keep a cake container over the setup to contain the fumes.The box before fuming.Here is the setup and the box after one day. Here it is after 48 hours. I’ll keep going until it reaches the desired shade.
I have this Chouna, it was all black/brown and after about a day in citric acid and a lot of scrubbing every hour, I can now see the steel in some places, It also revealed a stamp and some faint etching that became stronger with time. I have also had the blades from my two Nagadai-ganna in citric acid to remove ages of rust.Anyone know anything about this stamp? The other one still in the acid…This one has stamps on the front and the back, both have stamps on the laminated chip br...
So, I have these saws. These are old, how old, I don’t know but they are handmade, most likely industrially handmade. They have this nice engraved markings on them, not like the modern stamps, more like hand stitched engravings. You can also see some marks where the steel was welded to make the saw blade. So, how to get some old, dirty, rusty, dull saws in working order? First step was a nice bath of citric acid, this removed most of the dirt and rust. I don’t have any...
I’ve been wanting to abandon my dovetail jig lately and I was reinvigorated by Frank’s seminar today to learn hand cut dovetails. Frank Klausz (at Woodworking in America 2014) used a fishtail chisel to clean out his sockets, although not a necessity, I wanted one. I went back to the market place at Woodworking in America and Lie-Nielsen sold them for $75 a pop (minimum). So, being a little more than I wanted to spend I decided to make one from an old Buck Bros chisel. I first ground the ch...
Sweet acacia (A. farnesiana) (genus (Acacia)/ subfamily Mimosoideae/ family Fabaceae/ From Right to Left:2 ) Raw Thorns1) Double Thorns hand carved / 4 Thorns hand carved3) Hand carved and sanded As I mention in one of my other Blogs, I like to utilize the whole parts of the tree, the is one of those cases.I cut down 3 saplings, cut off the branches, I very carefully striped the bark with a utility knife.Then carefully cut the thorns off with X-acto knife, with saw blade I decided ...
I just started the two end tables to go with the entertainment center in my last project posting, working on the larger of the two at 24” X 21”, and determining the top’s appearance.All of my boards are about 7” wide, with one board at 9 1/2” & is flat sawn. I would like to make a one board top, not possible obviously, so I am stretching two 9 1/2” side by side to 21” wide:In so doing, I decided to add one additional board(s) in the middle of thes...
A quick bit of info for anyone using an AXMINSTER awvsl Lathe (or similar)Today, my Lathe suddenly started to speed up and slow down, somewhat similar to the old Bus engines of the 1950s era, making turning almost impossible. Also, as it would speed up, there was a flash coming from the motor brushes. I guess now that some people are thinking that either my Motor was faulty, or that my variable speed control unit had a fault, and would probably need replacing…right? The way to fix this ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1406 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 86 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1430 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 230 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 195 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- shipwright - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 174 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries