I thought I took a bunch more pictures but???Played with the cabin walls and windows. Next I needed a roof so here’s my take on rounding one out.First I glued the pattern on the edge of the wood [made the wood block extra big so plenty of room to work]then hot glued a big square of scrap 3” X 3” to the roof bottom and cut it out on the band saw.Then with the wood scrap still on it to keep it strait and level I sanded it on the SS. Then I really had some fun...
I am working on the front cap of the train bed. I made a template for the arch and circle. This is something that I should have done about 3 trains ago. I keep having to reinvent the shapes. After I had the templates made, I then used the template to create two identical pieces. To make the front cap thicker we spaced them out with some poplar for framing. The next step will be to wrap it with some bending plywood. Pictures More building pictures and video can be found at:http:/...
ALL ABOARD! Starting to build one of my train bed. This is what it will look like when I am finished. It will, of course, have a few customized changes requested by the customer, but overall will follow this pattern. I will blog about the steps in this series, but if you’d like to look forward I do post the pictures first on the Current Projects Page of my site. I’m usually a little slow on the write-up.
This pattern came out of the book by Kathy Wise, “Intarsia, Woodworking For Beginners”. My Nephews birthday is coming up at the end of the month, and he loves Trains, so I thought I would give this a go. This is my first attempt at anything that resembles Intarsia, even though I don’t really consider this Intarsia, more segmentation even though it did come out of an Intarsia book, so not sure what to call it. Here are some more pictures of it. The woods I used were...
Another update on the train. Made the catwalks and started on the cab parts. Catwalks 3 pieces per side. The bottom piece has a 30 taper, and the top piece has a 15 taper so they will snug up against the side of the boiler. Cab front wall. 3 more days til Xmas. Can’t wait to see my boys open their gifts. Bret
Small update made some parts for the boiler. Drilled holes for the hand rails. Front Boiler Rest Superheater, Smoker, and access cover Firebox final shape and trim added Happy Holidays Everyone, Bret
1949 Reading Steam Freight Train I started a new project. It is a steam train using Gatto plans. I currently have made the main frame, boiler and the display track. I made a jig out of a strip of plywood with grooves spaced the right distance apart and then glued a fence on one side to line up the cross ties. I also made several spacers to go between the cross ties. This made it super easy to make the track. Here is the main frame coming together. The b...
The train is back from graphics and completed. Well almost. I am thinking about putting a bell on the front and I need to add the child’s name under the window. Other than that it is finished. After I got it back from graphics, I just reassembled it cut slats and wired the lights. I put a small knob on the headboard to activate a touch sensor. I mounted the control box under the slat cleats, hidden and out of the way. The wire runs under the cleats to the front where it plugs in to ...
I’ve put the finish on the train bed. It is just the base color. The rest will be a vinyl similar to what the car wraps are made from. On the base I used a black lacquer undercoater and a flat black lacquer. I’ll do a little bit of assembly on it before it goes to the graphic people. Here are some pictures after the finish: For more building pictures see my Current Projects link at wwbeds.com or poggyskids.com. Watch us build this or see what we are doing live:
A lot got completed today. Actually I got most of it complete minus a few details. First I cut out the sides. I drew a life size version of it on cardboard on the last blog to give me a since of proportion. So today I just transferred the measurements. Instead of just cutting it out with a jig saw, I used a router to get clean and straight lines. I used the jig saw and circular saw for the rough cuts and came back with square jigs, made especially for this project and straight edges. ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1728 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1753 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- robscastle - 207 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Dave Rutan - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries