I have been working on this project time permitting. Had end of school year stuff with the kids, a surprise visit from some relatives, and of course been busy traveling for work, so it has been interment to say the best :( So, I got this puppy glued up a couple of weekends ago. After fighting with a shelf that I messed up on and had to remake a new one. Talk about frustation, nothing went right with it and it took me a couple of weeks just to build one new shelf.Now this project has had many...
Hello, this is probably my last workbench blog entry, now that my bench is complete! Like I said in my last blog, the workbench has been complete a couple weeks before this post on November 12. With my last post I had wrote about completing the base. After I had the base assembled, glued up, and drawbored I placed the bench top onto the base. Previous to putting the top on the base I had put one coat of boiled linseed oil on the underside of the top. The top is removable from the base, I deci...
INTRODUCTIONThere is very little new in this Blog, I intend to show more examples of how to analyse, and make templates for, more Celtic Patterns. I should point out that the examples shown here and in my previous Blog are all prototypes and not display-class pieces. Here are three more examples: TRINITY, and what I will call SQUARE KNOT and PENDANT:.. TRINITY.This must be the most ubiquitous and simplest Celtic Knot, yet is still elegant. ....The template for this is very simple and obvio...
Several years ago I got re-interested in archery via a garage-sale purchase of a very used compound bow. That led to the purchase of a better used model and eventually and even better and more powerful bow, though still used.. Unfortunately, my shoulder gave out about 6 months after that. The doc said I had to lay off shooting for “a while” and IF I was able to get back to it, use a very light draw-weight (less than 40#). SWMBO suggested I give it up all together. So, the ne...
This is my first attempt at carving a sign. I’ve wanted to try it for quite a while. Our retreat center needed a sign by the road so this sign already has a home all picked out. Dimensions: 36” x 12” x 2”, basswood I know basswood isn’t the best exterior wood but seeing as it will be painted, I figured it should last many years as long as I give it proper care and maintenance. I created the pattern on my computer. Each letter stands 3” tall. The fo...
I know that drawing and working on patterns is not enjoyable for many chip carvers. With that in mind, we will start carving tomorrow. I’d still like to encourage many of you to give pattern development a try.I’ll provide some patterns for you to carve. Adding your patterns to the mix will give our finished project more variety. Also, there’s a great sense of satisfaction knowing that the pattern you are carving is one that you came up with on your own. Here’s an...
With a surplus of pumpkins this fall (folks just aren’t spending the money ) I have pumpkins to dispose of. Why not have a little fun and get some target practice!
Well, finally got some shop time in. I cut the sockets with my father’s help a couple of weeks ago, and that went well other than one mishap due to a knot. I got out this afternoon and cleaned up the shop and then got to work on the setup for cutting the pins. That took a while but after dozen or so ;) test runs I had my wife come out and take a look to see if I was being a bit too AR. Of course I was and she said that everything looked fine. So, isn’t this the way it always goes,...
Well after one long month of frustration with a height issue. I finally got this project to the finishing stage today. The bentwood lamination I bragged about the last time was a bit short in height once I finished cleaning up the glue up. After multiple goes at getting all three edges even and losing 1 1/2” in height. I had my dad come over and give me a hand this week and we finally got her done. Hot glue, a straight edged board, a 1/2” upcut spiral bit, and a bushing on the old...
Hello Friends, I’m long overdue for an update so there are a lot of pictures. I’ve made quite a bit of progress but the ending is not so happy I’m afraid, after reassembling the parts last night I discovered an error I will have to fix. The great thing about woodworking is that almost anything is fixable, it’s just frustrating. You’ll see what I mean at the end. As usual, I’ll let the pictures do most of the explaining: Cut the shoulders on the angled te...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1659 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1684 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 400 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 281 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 229 entries
- Betsy - 225 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 200 entries
- robscastle - 189 entries
- Rustic - 189 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries